Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toolnood is an unknown quantity at this point
Throttle body cleaning

Bump
Iv been having problems with the idel going up and down, up and back down repeatly. Iv ONLY had this after cleaning throttle body and unscreweig iac and cleaning them with carb clener. I also used a wire brush on TB and IAC. I'm thinking I messed up a sensor with too much carb cleaner? I will be taking out throttle body again and looking for any mistakes. I'm also thinking of getting new a throttle body from junk yard. This sucks because my 2003 ex never did this until I cleaned throttle body. Hoping I can throublshoot this problem and continue the DIY frotten tune up mods. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-17-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 99 Civic Ex idle up and down

Originally Posted by toolnood
Bump
Iv been having problems with the idel going up and down, up and back down repeatly. Iv ONLY had this after cleaning throttle body and unscreweig iac and cleaning them with carb clener. I also used a wire brush on TB and IAC. I'm thinking I messed up a sensor with too much carb cleaner? I will be taking out throttle body again and looking for any mistakes. I'm also thinking of getting new a throttle body from junk yard. This sucks because my 2003 ex never did this until I cleaned throttle body. Hoping I can throublshoot this problem and continue the DIY frotten tune up mods. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Did you clean the IACV gasket's screen?
Cleaning the throttle body and IACV wouldn't cause surging unless you used a cleaner that could possibly damage a sensor. Did you use Throttle Body Cleaner or Carb & Choke Cleaner or Brake Cleaner?

Also: I hope you used a brass wire brush and not a metal wire brush. A metal wire brush can scratch metal/aluminum surfaces easily. A brass wire brush is much less likely to..unless digging in to hard.

If an IACV is completely failed then cleaning it only isn't going to fix the issue but, it's the cheapest way to start. Try replacing with a used or new IACV.

Refer to Ezone stated as well: "If there's an electrical or wiring problem causing the IAC valve to not operate, replacing the valve isn't going to change anything (obviously)."

"Sometimes something as simple as low radiator (coolant) level can cause the issue too"

Have you checked the coolant level on a consistent basis?
Old 09-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 Civic Ex idle up and down

2003....is the IAC valve stuck open? Not plugged in?
Got codes?
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toolnood is an unknown quantity at this point
Throttle body cleaning

I recently decided to clean my throttle body and iac. Cleaned it up with carb cleaner and scrubbed the throttle body and iac valve with wire brush. I reinstalled it and now I have a crap idle. After it warms up, it idles up then goes down , and does it over again.
I did the idle re learn.
I'm thinking I messed up a sensor with carb cleaner?
I have a 2003 civicex.
I'm thinking of getting a used throttle body from junkyard or online. But I will go back and troubleshoot to make sure I installed throttle body correctly. My car never use to idle like that until I cleaned throttle body.
Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Throttle body cleaning

Check for a vacuum leak.
Reading up on Google reveals the solution may be to clear the Throttle Sensor Position data in the PCM and then do an idle relearn. An advanced scan tool was used to clear the PCM. I searched on "Honda Civic idle after throttle body cleaning".
Old 09-19-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Throttle body cleaning

Originally Posted by toolnood
I recently decided to clean my throttle body and iac. Cleaned it up with carb cleaner and scrubbed the throttle body and iac valve with wire brush. I reinstalled it and now I have a crap idle. After it warms up, it idles up then goes down , and does it over again.
I did the idle re learn.
I'm thinking I messed up a sensor with carb cleaner?
I have a 2003 civicex.
I'm thinking of getting a used throttle body from junkyard or online. But I will go back and troubleshoot to make sure I installed throttle body correctly. My car never use to idle like that until I cleaned throttle body.
Any thoughts? Thanks
tool (lol) this is dong...this is basically a duplicate of your other recent post. Did you remove the throttle body and/or IAVC when you cleaned it/them?