Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head gasket, replace or use the sealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StockAFcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Head gasket, replace or use the sealer

Hey guys so recently My head gasket blew on my car, I was wondering should I bite the 1500 dollar bullet or try the sealer, because I've been told that the sealer works about 80% of the time, so I don't want to take the chance. Would love feedback
Old 09-18-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Head gasket, replace or use the sealer

Do not use the sealer, you will mess up countless other components in your engine and cooling system if you do. Do the job properly and use Honda parts.

Another user on here used some type of sealer and screwed up all sorts of thing on his car.

Again do not use sealer, do it properly with Honda parts.
Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough

$1500 seems high for a head gasket - anything else in that estimate?
Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

Well the water pump is included as well in that
Old 09-18-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

1500 sounds about normal for a shop to do it for you
Old 09-18-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RustyShackle
$1500 seems high for a head gasket - anything else in that estimate?
The head and block should be inspected with a precision level and feeler gauges to check for flatness. If the engine has overheated there's a good possibility the cylinder head is warped and will be brought to a machine shop to be milled to proper flatness. The estimate you were given most likely includes machine shop milling. It may also include new valve stem seals. The machine shop should also inspect for cylinder head cracks, hot tank (clean) the cylinder head and check for valve leaks.

Also, their estimate should include a coolant (antifreeze) change, intake manifold gasket and possibly a cam seal. Ask them if it will include a valves adjustment.
Old 09-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hell no on sealer.

$1500 sounds low. What shortcuts does that include? What's missing?
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

Well I'm unsure I only had gotten the estimate today, and was a bit more pissed because of how much money I've already just spent on my car, but aside from that at this point would it be cheaper to do an engine swap with a used, low mile d17a1 than to try and fix the problems with the engine currently?
Old 09-19-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by StockAFcivic
would it be cheaper to do an engine swap with a used, low mile d17a1 than to try and fix the problems with the engine currently?
If you can install the engine yourself then yes it would be cheaper..if you can't then no it will not. How many miles on the current engine?
If the compression is good, no oil leaks or other issues on the current engine and the only issue is the head gasket than it just has one variable to resolve. If you purchase a used engine you might run into more than one variable.

Ask the mechanic that gave you the estimate everything that's involved within the estimate. Ask about their labor warranty and that of the machine shop if they use one. Have everything put in writing including the parts.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-19-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

What i've found out lately is that these cars are old/cheap enough to where they aren't worth paying a shop for complex jobs anymore. If you cheap out on the shop labor, you'll get poor results. Usually better to put the money into genuine honda replacement parts and do the work yourself with the help of the forum.
Old 09-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm unsure I only had gotten the estimate today, and was a bit more pissed because of how much money I've already just spent on my car, but aside from that at this point would it be cheaper to do an engine swap with a used, low mile d17a1 than to try and fix the problems with the engine currently?
Head gasket failures are dead common and totally expected on this engine.
Any used engine is very likely to need a head gasket too.
You're back to square one.
Your move, Slim.
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Currently right now we are gonna remove the head, and see whether it will be worth/lasting to get it machined back to level, if not we may do an engine replacement with another d17a1 I will keep you guys updated on the progression, just allow a few days
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

If we do do an engine swap we will replace most parts (water pump, head gasket, timing belt, etc) because it would be more worth while
Old 09-20-2017

Currently right now we are gonna remove the head, and see whether it will be worth/lasting to get it machined back to level, if not we may do an engine replacement with another d17a1 I will keep you guys updated on the progression, just allow a few days
Did your mechanic at least do a dry and possibly wet compression test to find out if there's any compression leaks (specifically pistons compression rings) before removing the head?...