Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trick to Getting Timing Belt On?

Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough
Trick to Getting Timing Belt On?

I am replacing the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, seals etc. on my 2003 Civic. I am using the factory service manual directions to install the belt. It is about the fifth Civic timing belt change I have done in my life. In the past I remember wrestling getting the timing belt over the bottom sprocket, tensioner, water pump pulley, and camshaft. Is there a trick to this? I will look at youtube tomorrow, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Trick to Getting Timing Belt On?

Start the belt on the crankshaft gear as shown in (6th gen) video below.

Starts belt install at 4:15 time mark.
Shows a good tensioning tip at 7:25 time mark:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-13-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I take the spring off of the peg so the tensioner pulley will stay relaxed and backed off.

I start with the timing belt around crank gear, then cam gear, make sure all those marks are where I want them....then around water pump gear then pull and slide belt over the tensioner pulley.
Use a hook tool to stretch spring up to its peg again. Double check marks are still lined up where I want them and stuff it all back together.
Old 09-14-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
I start with the timing belt around crank gear, then cam gear, make sure all those marks are where I want them....then around water pump gear then pull and slide belt over the tensioner pulley.
This does make sense as it easier to slide the belt over the smooth, slacked tensioner last instead of pulling over cam teeth as shown in ETCG video.
Old 09-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Megalodong
This does make sense as it easier to slide the belt over the smooth, slacked tensioner last instead of pulling over cam teeth as shown in ETCG video.
the belt will slide onto the cam just as easily as the tensioner as both have no "lip" to get the belt over, the only difference is the teeth on the cam,

i do it as per the manual, start at the crank and go counter clockwise

crank > tensioner > water pump > cam

tensioner needs to be totally loose

to answer the original question, there really is no trick, it should slide on easily using only your bare hands, never pry it or use any tools,
Old 09-15-2017
Registered!!

honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough

Thank you, Megalo, ezone and Mikey. It turned out that I had mounted the tensioner on the wrong bolt hole. Once I figured this out, I had the belt on within a few minutes, using the factory service manual method. Yes, it went on easily.

Other highlights:

I broke the TDC crank sensor (near the crankshaft sprocket), by overtightening the bolt. My Civic runs, but of course I have the CEL. My Civic's timing covers are all beat up. I will go to the salvage yard for all.

I had to put up my power windows at one point, because of rain. I re-connected the battery and then forgot about it. While connecting the alternator ground, I got a spark. I had no power, and of course the car would not start. It turned out that the main battery fuse (in the fusebox under the hood) blew. $4 at Autozone.
Old 09-15-2017
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
It turned out that I had mounted the tensioner on the wrong bolt hole

how the heck is that even possible?

there is only one hole there that i know of
Old 09-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
how the heck is that even possible?

there is only one hole there that i know of
The holes for the big L shaped bracket
Old 09-15-2017
Registered!!

ezone has it. Here are the photos from https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-diy-2-a.html that show the alternator bracket's bolt holes above the tensioner. It was a lesson in being tired and working outdoors, with the sun going down.

I think I need to set aside three days, in a dedicated space where I can lay out all the parts in order as i remove them, with a coffee bar and frig on the side, next time, given my age. My condo does not have a garage. I have to borrow space from friends. Not good.

I appreciate everyone's input. I am glad I once again did my own timing belt et cetera change. Yet I could not do it without forums like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tensionerhole.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	111647   Click image for larger version

Name:	TBeltID.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	111648   Click image for larger version

Name:	altbracketscrew.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	589.7 KB
ID:	111649  
Old 09-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The holes for the big L shaped bracket

LOL....okay,

but thats not even close to where it should be

Search this Thread