Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

04 Civic EX Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spooky11 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Civic EX Starter Issues

I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX that has close to 160,000 miles on it. A few months ago I had the starter replaced. I would go to turn the key in the ignition -- all the normal lights would illuminate and I would either hear one click or no click as I turned the key. I would turn the key a handful of times and it would eventually turn over and the car would start. Until one day it would no longer start at all.

The issue seems to be coming back up recently -- I go to turn the key and it will not start or turn over, just an audible click or no click, and eventually it starts.

I am not sure where to go with this as I have a new starter in it and it has no issues once it actually turns over. I am trying to get this dealt with before it dies again.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 Civic EX Starter Issues

Make sure the small wires' spade terminal fits snugly on the starter terminal....A loose fit becomes a bad connection.

Reality: Probably needs another starter is my guess.
I hate just about all of them from parts stores, reliability is "off (the bottom of) the charts".
Old 09-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spooky11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 04 Civic EX Starter Issues

Ok, thanks for the help, I bought a new starter and threw it in there today. Hopefully this alleviates the problem.

Thanks again!