Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

how to check for electrical drains?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craig Seybert is an unknown quantity at this point
how to check for electrical drains?

Hello,

I recently purchased a 03 Civic, the driver side door "dome light" switch was not working, and in fact pushed into the body of the vehicle, I had to fish it out. I replaced the switch, and found that now my battery dies overnight. I'm assuming the switch it bad, hence why the previous owner disconnected it.

is there an easy way to figure out where i'm draining juice at?
Old 09-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how to check for electrical drains?

Simple: Disconnect that switch again, see if problem goes away.

I have a couple multimeters with ammeter function, but they take too long to set up.
For speed I use a low current inductive (clamp on) ammeter to measure draw.
This one:
Old 09-04-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply! I guess I could try that, but it may take several days like last time for it to drain it enough.
Old 09-04-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So then you want to hook up a low current ammeter of some sort to measure the draw.

If it's within a normal range, no problem. (I'd consider 30mA or less normal for that car, 100% stock) Look for a low charge/weak/sulfated or failing battery
If draw is excessive, you have more work to do.
Old 09-04-2017
Registered!!

Thanks, I'll try that, I currently have the current battery trickle charging for a couple days, because when I tested it, it was at 3v. may need a new battery. it is 5 years old.
Old 09-04-2017

because when I tested it, it was at 3v. may need a new battery. it is 5 years old.
A sulfated battery will discharge itself without being connected to anything.

5 years for a battery...is like 18 dog years. That's a long time.

Still ought to measure the draw just to be sure it's normal.