Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clicking noise when letting off gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zachs_weeney is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Clicking noise when letting off gas pedal

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here so I hope I’m not breaking any rules.. 😅
I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX 4sp automatic (built in Japan if that matters) with a little over 235,000 miles. Bought it with 217,000 and has run exceptionally well since I’ve had it. New timing belt at 214,000 miles, new water pump and a few other things around the same time.
Being 19 and living 3 hours from my family and any financial help, I’ve been concerned about a noise I’ve been hearing for the last few months.
Most of the time (not every time, however) I let off my gas pedal, usually when going at a lower speed, I hear a clicking noise that I believe is coming from the back of my car although I’m not positive. It also sometimes happens when my car shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. I’ve done a lot of research and I’m guessing it may have something to do with the throttle body, but being as I know next to nothing about cars I’m not sure.
Has anyone else experienced this? My car still runs just fine, still gets roughly 30mpg even at such high mileage and has never had any problems starting or accelerating. I replaced the front struts, valve cover gasket and radiator in March. My concern is that it could possibly have something to do with the transmission, in which case I simply can’t afford to repair it since it would probably cost more than the value of my car to fix (if the tranny is going out). Could this be a simple fix or something more serious?
Any help is immensely appreciated, again I’ve never posted on a car forum before and have next to no knowledge about cars. Also I’m very young and don’t have a ton of money to spend on repairing a 16 year old car with 235,000 miles, although I know being a Honda it’ll run another 100,000 before it gives up on me. Thank you so much in advance!
Old 08-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clicking noise when letting off gas pedal

I believe is coming from the back of my car although I’m not positive.
Before you waste a lot of time and money, you need to find out for sure where the noise comes from.

Then you can keep going to figure out what's causing it.

It could be something as stupid as golf ***** rolling around with the spare tire. Maybe the exhaust came loose or broke. There's a crapton of possibilities, you need to do your part to investigate.

WWSWD? (What would Stevie Wonder do?)
Old 08-19-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
WWSWD? (What would Stevie Wonder do?)
LOL. Stevie is very Superstitious and Living Just Enough For The City. He'd tell his car I Don't Know Why I Love You and say I Wish my Cherie Amour wasn't making that clicking sound. However, Stevie lives by his motto You Haven't Done Nothin' until you've reached Higher Ground. He gets Uptight when his ride isn't alright and Overjoyed when he repairs it.
Old 08-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zachs_weeney is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually think the noise is coming from the front drivers side. Additionally, I’ve actually realized that my gas mileage has also decreased significantly, I normally get ~430 miles per tank and I went through almost a third of a tank in like 85 miles. I’m going to have a buddy look at it within the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-20-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Check all your suspension parts, engine mounts
Old 08-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Clicking would lead me to check the CV joint - especially if pronounced when turning.
If it is more of a growl - check the wheel bearing.