Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C squeal and clicking

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LifeIsGood524 is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C squeal and clicking

Looking for some advice (no surprise there) for my son's 2005 Civic. Just recently, he started to get a squealing noise when running the A/C. I assumed it was a loose belt and suggested he take it back to the shop that just did some work for him. They listened and determined it was the AC Compressor clutch locking up. In addition to the squealing, there was a consistent clicking noise. Repair estimate is $800. Does that sound reasonable?

I am skeptical of the diagnosis and am recommending he get a second opinion. I am also suspicious that the noise started right after they did some work to pass inspection which included replacing the front engine mount, replacing the window regulator, tightened up every bolt on the left front suspension and repairing an exhaust leak (removed manifold and welded leaks).

I there any possibility that the repairs might have caused the A/C issue? In reading up on front engine mount replacement, I see that the transmission is lifted with a jack. Could this have indirectly impacted the compressor clutch?

I might be grasping at straws here but thought it was too coincidental that the issue had never existed until he had the work done and figured it couldn't hurt to throw the question out to this community.

Thanks in advance,
LifeIsGood
Old 08-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice
Re: A/C squeal and clicking

No answers, only a question: why did they tighten the fasteners on the left front suspension, but not the right?

I don't know enough to answer your questions. I am here to learn, also.
Old 08-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by robfarr56
No answers, only a question: why did they tighten the fasteners on the left front suspension, but not the right?

I don't know enough to answer your questions. I am here to learn, also.
This all started with a failed inspection. One failing item was a bad front left wheel bearing. Suspecting a scam, because there had been no indication of a bad bearing, my son took the car to another service station and they indicated the wheel bearing was fine and that the left strut bolts were suspiciously loose. They tightened all the bolts - free of charge.
Old 08-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LifeIsGood524
This all started with a failed inspection. One failing item was a bad front left wheel bearing. Suspecting a scam, because there had been no indication of a bad bearing, my son took the car to another service station and they indicated the wheel bearing was fine and that the left strut bolts were suspiciously loose. They tightened all the bolts - free of charge.
Avoid shop #1 entirely. Forever.

Go to shop #2 and have them see what's up with the AC belt squeal?
Old 08-08-2017
Registered!!

Shop #2 did the previous work and also diagnosed the ac clutch issue by simply listening to the noise. They might be right, it just seemed too coincidental. I failed to mention that the AC works (cools) despite the noises.

Another option is to take it to yet another shop for a second opinion on the AC clutch.

My main reason in posting here is to get opinions on whether the recent work (front motor mount or removing manifold) might have caused the AC issue so we could approach the shop to have them fix the problem they introduced.

LifeIsGood
Old 08-08-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How about the noise, got a recording? Is it just a little chirp like a cricket, or is it a godawful screaming screech that makes the neighbors look out their windows?

If it still cools fine despite squealing it could just need the belt adjusted tighter.

Maybe shop #1 loosened the belt so they could get more revenue. Selling you a compressor along with the drier and associated parts is far more profitable than adjusting a belt.
Old 08-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

I know what that squealing sound sounds like! (from the alternator belt)
It doesn't sound like any squealing belt from old school Detroit, either. Mine was WAY louder, very, very high pitched.

If shop #1 did that, I would be very upset.

I finally had to quit going to my original shop (where I had the warranty for the new alternator & install) and go to my neighbor's mechanic to get my belt tightened correctly. So much for warranty, if the same clowns are holding the tools. "Flakes", Frank Zappa called them.

Last edited by robfarr56; 08-08-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2017

+1 for judicious use of the Zappa