Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coolant Temp Issue with 2002 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeffmensch is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civic Temp Issue

I own a 2002 Honda Civic. I am having issues with the Temperature Gage going HIGH. I had the Thermostat replaced two weeks ago, which did NOT help. I checked the Coolant and it looks FULL. When I had the HEAT on HIGH, the Temp Gage would SOMETIMES go LOWER

It all started LAST October; I ad the Thermostat replaced in October, a
HOSE replaced in November, AND the Radiator replaced in December.

Everything was OKAY for 5 MONTHS until May when it OVERHEATED.
For 1 month, it was OK until it overheated again. I had the Thermostat REPLACED AGAIN. Nothing happened for 2 weeks until yesterday when it OVERHEATED again.
After I turned off the Car for 45 minutes, it was OK. Then after driving for 30 minutes, it overheated again.

ANY ideas or suggestions

Last edited by jeffmensch; 07-23-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

Coolant Temp Issue with 2002 Honda Civic

I own a 2002 Honda Civic. I am having issues with the Temperature Gage going HIGH. I had the Thermostat replaced two weeks ago, which did NOT help. I checked the Coolant and it looks FULL. When I had the HEAT on HIGH, the Temp Gage would SOMETIMES go LOWER

For 1 month, it was OK until it overheated again. I had the Thermostat REPLACED AGAIN. Nothing happened for 2 weeks until yesterday when it OVERHEATED again.
After I turned off the Car for 45 minutes, it was OK. Then after driving for 30 minutes, it overheated again.

Last edited by jeffmensch; 07-23-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

TexasTom is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coolant Temp Issue with 2002 Honda Civic

sir, I have recently had the same problem with my '04 civic. I may have a solution. go to your local auto parts store and get a new radiator cap. it's supposed to bleed off at 16 psi, mine was bleeding off at 7 psi. it cost me $55 to have a pressure check done on the radiator to discover this $10 fix. I bought another radiator cap and tossed it in my gear bag. Hey, if it works, cool, if not, you didn't waste a lot of $.
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2002 Honda Civic Temp Issue

you most likely have a blown head gasket....look for threads on here, its a common problem
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffmensch

you most likely have a blown head gasket
Old 07-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

2 threads merged.

Check radiator level, it needs to be completely full to the top, at all times.
Overheat occurs easily after the radiator level becomes low. It can overheat with less than a quart of liquid missing from the radiator. Any time you do some work to it (thermostat, etc), you refill the radiator and it's ok for a while.....until it gets low again.

Did the overflow bottle become overfilled as the radiator went low?

Check radiator fan operation

Check the overheating thread here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

the issue is that the coolant temp goes HIGH again after 1 month or 2 weeks WITHOUT putting in more coolant
Old 07-23-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the issue is that the coolant temp goes HIGH again after 1 month or 2 weeks WITHOUT putting in more coolant
So when it overheats, is the radiator found to be low ? (it needs to stay completely full, no air space at the top)

How about the radiator fans, are they running at the time it overheats, or not?
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

goes high WHERE????

in the overflow bottle?

if yes....you have a blown head gasket
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

the temperature goes HIGH, than can go lower sometimes when I put on the HEAT, and then can stay NORMAL for 2 weeks or 1 MONTH
Old 07-23-2017

What did your Honda dealership say about it?
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

mechanic can NOT find problem which is WHY I am posting here
Old 07-23-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Then you need a new mechanic.
Or describe your symptoms better rather than repeating the same 2 sentences over and over.
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

Colin42, your reply was rude and ignorant especially since I used to have a cottage near Barrie on Lake Simcoe
Old 07-23-2017

especially since I used to have a cottage near Barrie on Lake Simcoe
Is your Honda dealership there? What did your Honda dealership say is wrong with your car?
Old 07-23-2017
Registered!!

ezone, I am using a mechanic who has NOT been able to find out the problem which is WHY I am using the forum
Old 07-23-2017

I am using a mechanic who has NOT been able to find out the problem
Your mechanic is broken. Replace mechanic.

Maybe a nice Honda dealership can figure it out.
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

ezone, I am using a mechanic who has NOT been able to find out the problem which is WHY I am using the forum

take it to somebody else, who is capable of doing their job
Old 07-24-2017

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Colin42, your reply was rude and ignorant especially since I used to have a cottage near Barrie on Lake Simcoe
Thanks sweetheart I get that alot

Now are you going to finally describe your symptoms accurately or what?
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Temp goes high while radiator is full? You never have to add coolant to radiator, so there are no leaks? Sounds like fans not coming on when they're supposed to (could be bad fan motors, fan switch, fan relays), or bad water pump (has yours been replaced after 100k miles?).
Old 07-24-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

I was having a similar problem with a car. I took it to the dealership and gave them money. They gave me a car without the problem anymore. I didn't need to know what they did and didn't need to describe it poorly to a forum. Now my car works Win-Win.
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

why are some people HELPFUL and some people like Colin42 and Mcnoople a""ho"""?
This is NOT a comedy forum BUT a forum to HELP people, NOT INSULT and act like a LOSER
Old 07-24-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

why are some people HELPFUL and some people like Colin42 and Mcnoople a""ho"""?
This is NOT a comedy forum BUT a forum to HELP people, NOT INSULT and act like a LOSER
I am certainly not a Ho. I would have to be easy to be a Ho and I certainly don't make things easy. You and I have that in common. People have asked repeatedly for a better description of the problems that you are having, you have not supplied more information. I don't know if you are having translation issues since I know that many on this forum are not native english speakers. If that is the case you should just say so, we understand. But to ignore requests for more info means you don't want to supply what we need to give good solid advice. A lack of info results in a lack of quality to any advice given.

Now I would guess that you have a blown head gasket. This is just a guess. Why, because that generation of civic is prone to blowing head gaskets after 100k miles. There are ways to troubleshoot and diagnose a blown head gasket, but you would have to supply answers to some previously asked questions. There are multiple links to other posts much like yours that would likely help a competent technician repair your civic. If this problem happens often and your "mechanic" can't find and correct the problem, then your "mechanic" is part of the problem.

Here is a thread that should answer your questions about what your cars problem.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 07-24-2017

rude and ignorant
a""ho"""?
Your replies are rude, mean, and scary.
You're insulting the good posters of this forum.
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Your replies are rude, mean, and scary.
You're insulting the good posters of this forum.

im offended....he left me out....why wasn't i insulted?

Old 07-24-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Alright. Everyone stop.

I'm gonna answer OP's question first and foremost then shut this down. I'm going to leave this open for 24 hours unless everyone calms the hell down.

OP: you have a leak somewhere. If temp is going up if you don't add coolant, it's because coolant is not doing it's job and cooling the engine. You're biding your time by turning on the heat due to coolant in that formerly closed loop. That said, yes, you need a new mechanic if they weren't able to figure that out.

What you should do: find the leak, hopefully it's external (e.g. leaking hose or gasket) and fix the leak. Otherwise, go get some tests done to see if it's a head gasket leak.

My source for this prognosis: had a leaking water passage gasket. Leaked about a gallon of coolant every month. I knew it was time to top it off when I noticed temp gauge starting to nudge itself upwards. Got the gasket, spent a half hour swapping it out, another 15 to fill and burp the coolant system, and now everything is hunky dory.

__________________________________________________ _____

To all the animosity in this thread. Quit that ****. OP, if you're going to be belligerent to people giving you advice, you're not going to get it easily, if at all. It'll just attract people to give you hell for it.

Everyone responding fueling this **** storm, quit it, this is how you scare people away. I get it, OPs responses weren't quite accepting. **** happens, get over it.

Everyone, this is your warning. Play nice, I wanna see some damn apologies in this thread (yes, I f***ing expect them from everyone, including OP).

A message from your neighborhood friendly administrator.
Old 07-24-2017

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx

To all the animosity in this thread. Quit that ****. OP, if you're going to be belligerent to people giving you advice, you're not going to get it easily, if at all. It'll just attract people to give you hell for it.

Everyone responding fueling this **** storm, quit it, this is how you scare people away. I get it, OPs responses weren't quite accepting. **** happens, get over it.

Everyone, this is your warning. Play nice, I wanna see some damn apologies in this thread (yes, I f***ing expect them from everyone, including OP).

A message from your neighborhood friendly administrator.
Sorry guys.
Old 07-25-2017

Sorry everyone
Old 07-30-2017
Registered!!

TexasTom is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all quite amusing. How come I didn't get fussed at?