Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Intermittent starting and ideling issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jessica19699 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intermittent starting and ideling issues

Hello, I need some help I am having some issues with my 2004 Civic LX at certain times it will act like it don't want to start it will crank over but not start and when it does it will make a little puttering sound I will give it gas and then finally it will gain its normal idle speed ,also when stopped at traffic lights/signs ect the idle seems sporadic even more with the A/C engaged when the compressor kicks on the engine seems to bog down like it wants to shut off but don't it then somehow gains it correct idle speed it does this every time the compressor kicks on and recently I noticed it seems to do it with out the A/C on as well when the fans kick on for cooling, I changed the spark plugs, air filter, I did fuel injector cleaner In the gas and nothing has worked I even though it might have been the crank/cam position sensor to I had posited in another thread on here and that was a 300 dollar waste of money the issue is still there, I do seem to hear what sounds like it could be exhaust leak from what could be the catalytic converter would that cause these issues?, my mechanic upped the throttle speed some for me to keep the car from shutting off when I am at a stop I just received a check engine light on Friday also when the A/C compressor kicked on the code said something like air/fuel mixture to rich my mech cleared the code and as of today it hasn't been back . If anyone has any ideas or dealt with this issue and knows how to fix it I would greatly appreciate any help, Thanks in advance
Old 07-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Intermittent starting and ideling issues

but not start and when it does it will make a little puttering sound I will give it gas and then finally it will gain its normal idle speed

the idle seems sporadic

compressor kicks on the engine seems to bog down
These make me think the IAC valve might be sticking, or maybe the idle learn procedure needs done.
Really it could be a lot of things, but I am only making a guess based on reading your description.

my mechanic upped the throttle speed
How was this done, exactly?

Your mechanic might be an honest guy and a good parts replacer, but something tells me he's not a troubleshooter, or he's not real familiar with cars like yours.

the code said something like
What's the fault code number?
Old 07-16-2017
Registered!!

ezone, I think he adjusted the throttle cable itself how it attaches to the throttle body that's what it kind of looked like to me anyway, as for the code number he didn't tell me the number only what it said.Yeah he is a good honest mechanic with cheap prices but as you said not much on troubleshooting this is why I'm asking you all on here I cant afford to keep replacing part after part I'm a one income mom raising two boys so my money is tight I will ask the mech about the IAC valve you speak of ,will the catalytic converter leaking cause any issues like this?
Old 07-16-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I think he adjusted the throttle cable itself how it attaches to the throttle body
Well....taking all the slack out of the cable is certainly not the right way to fix it.

I cant afford to keep replacing part after part
Paying a knowledgeable professional for a proper diagnosis and correct answers could have been a lot cheaper than firing the parts cannon.
Finding that pro might not be easy though.

I will ask the mech about the IAC valve you speak of ,
Do you think he will have any idea about it?
You can search the forum and probably find stuff to read for quite a while.

will the catalytic converter leaking cause any issues like this?
Doubt it.

don't want to start it will crank over but not start and when it does it will make a little puttering sound I will give it gas and then finally it will gain its normal idle speed
Has your mechanic witnessed this part of the complaint?

Could it have a dead cylinder for the first several seconds after startup, until it clears itself out and runs on all 4 cylinders again?

Is it losing antifreeze?
Old 07-16-2017
Registered!!

ezone, I agree it wasn't the correct way to fix it it is a temp fix until it gets figured out ,I'm thinking I will have to take it to a Honda dealership and let them diagnose it for me it isn't losing coolant but I did just have the head replaced due to a blown head gasket the car has 165,000 miles on it, the mech I see now has heard the intermittent starting and idle he seems to think it is computer related I'm looking for another opinion before I have to take it to Honda and spend big money but it seems like that is probably my only option, someone in my other thread mentioned cleaning the throttle body so I mentioned cleaning the throttle body to my mech he doesn't seem to think that is the issue and would be a waste of time at this point I don't know what the heck to believe I guess I will just have to take it to Honda for diagnosis.
Old 07-16-2017

to think it is computer related I'm looking for another opinion
The only thing computer related is that the computer itself is not the problem.

(well, almost never)

Did you search for IAC valve on this site? You may be able to check some things yourself.

Search out IAC valve cleaning or idle problems

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...e-posting.html

before I have to take it to Honda and spend big money
Make sure they put a rocket scientist on the job who can solve problems on purpose.
Not the kids who were flipping burgers last week, now are changing oil this week.

Which dealer? Maybe I can refer you to someone.
Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

ezone..After driving the car to work today for one it acted like it didn't want to start this morning again but finally did,while driving the 90 mile commute to work the car rides fine a few miles from my work site where the traffic lights start I was at a stop and I noticed the erratic idle again when the a/c compressor kicks on so I turned the a/c off hoping that would help. Well after finally getting to work and parking I listened to the car for a min with the a/c off and it seems that when the fans kick on the engine does the same thing as when the a/c compressor kicks on it sounds like the engine wants to die to but corrects itself it did that a few times, then after a min it seemed to find a solid idle which I turned the car off to go to work, it actually sounds like it is starving for air so this could be a IAC valve issue i'm thinking. I only have one Honda dealership in my area also Miller Honda is the name of it in Kerns town VA
Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

ezone, any ideas on it being a bad MAP sensor I was reading the symptoms associated with it and they sound pretty close to what's going on with my car?
Old 07-17-2017

Looks like the nearest I can refer is probably 60+ miles from there.

Has the car reset any fault codes yet?
MAP sensor? IDK. I can't tell much from my recliner here LOL.... It could be tested or it could be swapped if you have a good one to try (from another similar car)

You know, there's an awful lot of issues in a car that might generate similar symptoms or complaints by a driver, but to a trained and experienced pro each possible cause can present very unique symptoms.

For example, an engine that idles low and rough because of a misfiring or 'dead' cylinder acts very different from an engine that has an IAC valve sticking closed, yet most average drivers would come to the shop with the exact same complaint: It idles low and rough, smooths out when you give it some gas.
Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

Ezone no codes have appeared yet, I went to my mech yesterday and mentioned the IAC valve cleaning and map sensor he told me he cleaned the IAC sensor and throttle body when he did my head gasket I think he is pulling my leg and doesn't want to deal with having to trouble shoot this to be honest cause a few days before he wrote them two very things off when I mentioned them as possibilities and never mentioned he had cleaned them then, I contacted Honda and they said they can do a diagnoses for 110 dollars not to bad I guess for them to tell me at least what is wrong with it. one thing I did try last night that I read about on here was to try a idle relearn "I think I did it right anyway" after I got home from work I unplugged the ground on the battery for about 15 mins then re-attached it and started it and let it run and I got to say it seemed to help a lot "so far anyway" after driving it to work today I listened to it after I parked and it doesn't sound like it wants to die when the a/c compressor kicks on maybe this is what it needed ,then again maybe this isn't time will tell if it starts again I will take it to Honda for sure, it started up ok today at home I will see how it acts after sitting all day while i'm here at work. Thanks for all your ideas Ezone you been great I will let you know how it turns out
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Well the car had a low idle yesterday at times on the way home from work and stalled once also at a traffic light.I drove it today to work and a check engine light came on while driving it. When I got to work the car now doesn't seem to want to idle it stalled like 4 times it does restart but doesn't want to idle,after a few times restarting it it did idle finally, this is going to be a interesting ride home with it driving like this in DC stop and go traffic ughh I need to see what this check engine light says hopefully this is the answer to what is wrong here and if not i'm dropping it off with the Honda dealership today for diagnosis.
Old 07-19-2017

check engine light came on
Obtain the fault code(s), and if possible, the freeze frame data that accompanies a fault code.

Edit: The fault code numbers are needed, not a vague description nor the autozone parts shopping list
Old 07-22-2017
Registered!!

Ezone, turns out the code was for a 02 sensor bank one(air/fuel) I had replaced it and the car still didn't act right so Thursday I took it to Honda dealership and had them diagnose it after they did all there checks, it turns out that the timing was off and it needed a valve adjustment on the new head I had replaced when my head gasket had blown a few months back, the timing belt was replaced last year as well but I guess the mech didn't adjust the timing, how the car lasted this long I don't know it just might had compensated itself enough to get by until it couldn't no more, anyway it runs like a new car now so thanks again for all your help, Honda charged me 600 for the repair to kind of costly but I guess it is better than how I was doing it buy guessing at parts and replacing them
Old 07-22-2017

Originally Posted by jessica19699
Ezone, turns out the code was for a 02 sensor bank one(air/fuel) I had replaced it and the car still didn't act right
Was it actually a code related to a sensor fault, or was it a code like P0172 for bank one too rich?
The actual code number is what I would have liked to see. Each fault code number has a very clear and exact definition, we don't have to rely on interpretation.

it turns out that the timing was off

but I guess the mech didn't adjust the timing,
If this is true then your mechanic must have missed on the installation of the timing belt by one tooth or more. (probably only one or two teeth)
That's the only way timing could be "off" on that engine.... There is no distributor so there is no old school ignition timing adjustment possible.

and it needed a valve adjustment on the new head I had replaced when my head gasket had blown a few months back,
I can't say if that should have been completed with the head gasket job or not. Ideally it should have been checked and adjusted during the work, but not necessarily.

If the valvetrain wasn't taken apart for a machinist to resurface the head, the head may have gone right back on the engine in the same condition it was upon removal.

anyway it runs like a new car now so thanks again for all your help, Honda charged me 600 for the repair to kind of costly
Correct answers are quite valuable at any price.

FWIW I'm not sure I would have guessed that fix over the internet, based on your descriptions. There's certainly big limitations to forum diagnosis. Seeing and driving a car in person gives me much more information than most people could ever describe in words LOL

Glad it got figured out, and the price does not seem all that unreasonable IMO. I'd expect a similar charge from our shop.
but I guess it is better than how I was doing it buy guessing at parts and replacing them
You'd probably never have been able to fix it by replacing parts from {Danger Zone and others}....They don't sell proper installation, and they don't sell "spray cans of valve adjustment"
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

ezone, sorry The code was P0135 02 Sensor Heater Circuit
Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1).the Honda Mech said the timing was off by a tooth also. The head was a refurbished one with all new internal components vales etc., he said he adjusted them when he installed the new head cause it needed it.The car rides great I drove it to work and it seems to have a lot more power at acceleration, something I debated was wrong over the last year of driving it then it had progressed to the intermittent starting and bad idle control, so again thanks for all your help I appreciate it

Last edited by jessica19699; 07-24-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2017

Originally Posted by jessica19699
ezone, sorry The code was P0135 02 Sensor Heater Circuit
Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1).the Honda Mech said the timing was off by a tooth also. The head was a refurbished one with all new internal components vales etc., he said he adjusted them when he installed the new head cause it needed it.The car rides great I drove it to work and it seems to have a lot more power at acceleration, something I debated was wrong over the last year of driving it then it had progressed to the intermittent starting and bad idle control, so again thanks for all your help I appreciate it
YW.

You'll probably notice your gas mileage returns to where it should be too.

If the timing belt was off by a tooth or more, that should have resulted in a noticeable gas mileage drop along with the drop in performance.
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

Oh there was a significant drop in performance for sure before all this,gas mileage to, my SRS light was on to I figured it was the seat belt glasp but never got around to fixing it "I know I should have lol" come to find out the Honda mechanic told they have a lifetime warranty on there seat belts and they replaced that free of charge as well..I just hope I don't have any more issues for awhile "knock on wood" lol