Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Honda Civic EX Left Front noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamie King is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Honda Civic EX Left Front noise

Anyone have any experience with this? I have a creaking/squeaking noise in the left front and have replaced rotors, pads, strut, control arm, tie rod, and caliper. Any time I have pressed the break piston back into the caliper the noise goes away for 2 or 3 days but then comes back. Telling me now that the next thing to replace is the Brake Proportioning Valve which I have now ordered.

Old 06-29-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2003 Honda Civic EX Left Front noise

Sounds like the rotor is scraping the dust shield. If so, just bend the dust shield back towards the engine as needed to prevent the noise.

Does it only happen during braking?
Does it do it during full-lock left and/or right circles (doughnuts)?
During controlled slaloming?
Have you bled the brake system with new brake fluid?

Proportioning valve symptoms: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...bination-valve

Last edited by Wankenstein; 06-29-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

is this happening all the time? or only during braking?

BTW, why is your light on?
Old 07-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamie King is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. One of the first things I did was remove the dust shield. It only happens during braking...the brakes do not seize or lockup up...or make any noises at any other time when driving.

Check engine light is on due to a small exhaust leak...caused by a couple idiots at a local shop.
Old 07-03-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jamie King
It only happens during braking.
Have you tried bleeding all four brakes? Possibly air in line? Other than that maybe it is the prop valve as you mentioned.