Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

In need of some help by some more experienced people!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zfriese is an unknown quantity at this point
In need of some help by some more experienced people!!

Okay, so i bought a 2003 honda civic lx off of my father. For fairly cheap mainly because he knew there was alot wrong. That being said now its my problem and i dont even know where to start. Anyways. One issue i have is its throwing error codes for all 4 cylinders misfiring. We tried new spark plugs and coil packs to no avail. Also its over heats, but only sometimes. And she has a SERIOUS loss of power, assuming thats because of the misfire. And not always, but it smokes out of the exhaust sometimes minor, sometimes as milky as a cloud. Checked for antifreeze in the oil but didnt see any on the dipstick. Im just lost and dont even know where to start with this thing ]
Old 06-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: In need of some help by some more experienced people!!

assuming your coolant is full, the overheating is most likely a blown head gasket.....your dad should have given you this car for free
Old 06-12-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zfriese
Error codes for all 4 cylinders misfiring, it overheats sometimes, has serious loss of power, smokes out of the exhaust sometimes minor, sometimes as milky as a cloud.
First off your dad is a d!ck for making his problems your's..lol (joking)
Kidding aside...all signs are pointing to a breached head gasket as Mikey mentioned.

More specifically a breach that is allowing coolant to enter one or more cylinders. Does the engine idle roughest from cold start to operating temp?
Is the white smoke thicker on daily first starts (engine cold)?
Loosing coolant in the radiator or reservoir?

My guess is the head gasket is breached between two adjacent cylinders and/or coolant passages. Do a dry and wet (Tablespoon of oil) compression test. Perform compression test on fully charged battery and search this site for Ezone's method or as shown in video below. Ezone's method is similar to ETCG but, has some differences. Also, do a Block Test on the engine/coolant system. Can get a free rental blcok tester from most auto parts store and test fluid is around $10.

There a several types of head gasket breaching: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/200
http://www.autorepairkey.com/articles/head-gasket/
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2009...skets-to-fail/

Do not use headgasket sealant in a bottle. All that will do is potentially clog the heater core and/or radiator without fixing the head gasket breach.

Old 06-12-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Hopping on the bandwagon. All signs point to head gasket