Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power windows not working - not fuse or broken wire though

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MontanaProf is an unknown quantity at this point
Power windows not working - not fuse or broken wire though

Hi all,

My Honda Civic 2004 Hybrid (80,000) miles is having a problem with the power windows.

For a while this was intermittent. Now it seems more permanent.

It is all the windows, not just one window.

I have checked that all the fuses (under steering wheel and under hood) are functional.

I read on this forum that the most common issue is a broken wire between the door and body. I peeled off the rubber protector and checked both ends (door end and body end) and the wires look to be in really excellent shape.

My daughter who drives the car seems to think this is related to the side air bag warning light. Just occasionally this will go on and stay on. It fixes itself. She tells me that the windows stop working after that has happened. I can see no reason at all why these two events would be related.

(As a side note, and likely completely unrelated, the OPDS unit is broken and will be fixed this week).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power windows not working - not fuse or broken wire though

side air bag warning light

OPDS unit is broken and will be fixed this week
OPDS system should be why the side airbag light has a mind of its own.
seems to think this is related to the side air bag warning light.
Logically, I can't think of any reason this would be related to the power window complaint.......but hey, if this is true then fixing the OPDS will also solve the window problem. RIGHT?? Want to wait and see what happens?

having a problem with the power windows.

It is all the windows, not just one window.
What is the problem, exactly? All of them are inoperative? 3 are inop? 2?

I'd want to do checks while they are inoperative....Check for 12v at fuse 13 (engine compartment) fuse 23 (dash), then pull out the master switch panel and grab a wiring diagram to check powers and grounds directly at the master switch along with any other checks that come next in an electrical diagnosis. Prefer drivers window if it's quit.
Basically, diagnose one window and fix it, that would probably solve the rest of them.
Old 06-10-2017
Registered!!

Thanks ezone.

Geez, maybe my daughter is right with the "it happens when the side airbag light goes on then off"!! If this all goes away when they replace the OPDS I'd be shocked...and very happy. I'll have to wait a week for that to be replaced, though.

The issue is all four windows. They all work or none of them work.

I like the idea of testing the voltage at the fuses. I should be able to get to that today.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You know the fuses all have open test contacts on top so you can just touch your volt meter lead to it to read voltage, yes?
Old 06-10-2017
Registered!!

Ezone, I didn't know this! Thank you,
Old 06-10-2017
Registered!!

"Check for 12v at fuse 13 (engine compartment) fuse 23 (dash)" - both had 12v at them.

"then pull out the master switch panel and grab a wiring diagram to check powers and grounds directly at the master switch along with any other checks that come next in an electrical diagnosis".

Is this the master switch inside the door? The one with the power window buttons on it?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2017
Registered!!

Update: oh my gosh, my daughter was correct! I just drove the car, and the side air bag light came on. And then the windows started working again.

So, I think I'll just wait for the new OPDS unit to be installed.
Old 06-10-2017

The one with the power window buttons on it?
The panel that controls all of the windows is considered the master switch.

Update: oh my gosh, my daughter was correct! I just drove the car, and the side air bag light came on. And then the windows started working again.

So, I think I'll just wait for the new OPDS unit to be installed.
Sounds good to me LOL
I was looking in wiring diagrams and still don't 'see' a definite common circuit between the two systems.
Old 06-21-2017
Registered!!

Update: I finally got the new OPDS installed.

Obviously it fixed the OPDS issue, but the power windows are also working again too!! How completely weird is that?
Old 06-21-2017

Originally Posted by MontanaProf
Update: I finally got the new OPDS installed.

Obviously it fixed the OPDS issue, but the power windows are also working again too!! How completely weird is that?
Did you ask your dealer why?
Old 06-26-2017
Registered!!

If I could have talked to the master mechanic who actually did the work, I would have. Instead I had the service tech, who pretty much knew nothing about cars. I would have loved to have known too.