Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoseyEm2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Blown Head Gasket

My EM2 blew a head gasket today. I was doing a D16y8 intake manifold swap and it was idling high like around 3500k and so I went to go drive it and I look in the mirror and I see a smoke screen. I've had symptoms like bubbling coolant for a while. Also cracked my exhaust manifold. /: well the bright side is ive had a EX head sitting in my garage for the longest and I think I can finally swap that head in now.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough
Re: Blown Head Gasket

Get that head milled flat and checked before you go through the trouble. If you have a head ready to go before you tear your D17 down, you can have the whole job done in half a day.
Old 05-01-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RoseyEm2
My EM2 blew a head gasket today. I was doing a D16y8 intake manifold swap and it was idling high like around 3500k and so I went to go drive it and I look in the mirror and I see a smoke screen. I've had symptoms like bubbling coolant for a while. Also cracked my exhaust manifold. /: well the bright side is ive had a EX head sitting in my garage for the longest and I think I can finally swap that head in now.
The symptoms you described certainly sound like a head gasket breach. If you want further confirmation you could do a Block Test on it. Block Test is also good for check after HG repair. As 5.0 suggested bring the cylinder head to a machinist for crack/leak inspection, valve leak inspection, levelness.

If the machinist recommends a rebuild that generally entails:
1) mill for level (flat)
2) remove valve train and clean entire head in a hot tank
3) valves lapping or 3-angle valve job (more expenssive)
4) replace valve stem seals
5) polish valves

Also, use a quality straight edge and feeler gauges to check the block for level. Unlikely it's warped but in the realm of possibility.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

When I did my HG, machine shop told me to use a can of brake cleaner to clean the head. His words, specifically, "honestly dude, I can charge you 35 to hot tank it or you can DIY with a $5 can of brake cleaner. You know what youre doing"

My rebuild entailed milling the head, reconditioning valve guides, replacing valve stem seals. Lapping and polishing wasnt necessary for mine.
Old 05-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

machine shop told me to use a can of brake cleaner to clean the head
And a single edge razor blade. Nothing more is needed to clean the gasket surfaces.

You don't have to get all the discoloration out of the metal. All you have to do is get it flat and free of lumps.
Old 05-01-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

well, he also milled .004" off that head, so the surface was flat and free of ****. To get the gunk and crap out of the rest of the head is what he was referring to
Old 05-01-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of the many people who want to attack the surfaces with Scotch-brite, sandpaper, or similar abrasives, that might cause damage to the finely machined surfaces of the block and head.

Absolute flatness and the extremely fine finish of the machined surfaces (15-30 RA preferred) are critical for a good seal of the MLS type head gasket.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Well what I did is so took a Polishing abrasive pad and put it on a grinder and I polished the head clean and I made sure it was flat. Think it's good to just slap on? Ran my hand over it no bumps and even but a legend on it. I bought it from a guy who crashed his EX. He gave it to me for 50$ I remember talking to you Ezone you help me with alot of my problems. Still haven't got to the base of those senors problems lol. And I think I've talked to you too riceboy about the VAFC? maybe it was both of you but I'm probably not gonna wire that in my self im just gonna take it to a shop they want to charge me 200$ to wire it in.
Old 05-01-2017

Polishing abrasive pad and put it on a grinder and
This is exactly what you are not supposed to do.
I polished the head clean and I made sure it was flat.
Visually flat and feeling it with your hand is not precision measurement. You'd never be able to see 0.002" out-of-flat with only your eyeballs, nor would you be able to see low spots ground in the surface from your handiwork that can compromise the sealing ability of the head gasket.
I'd strongly urge you to send it to a good machine shop for proper resurfacing.

I sure hope you don't do anything of the like to the block surfaces either.
Old 05-01-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP..here's a google search on scotch brite + engine damage: https://www.google.com/search?num=50...k1.xvUlLiEuMag
Old 05-01-2017

Witness.

Watched a former parts replacing employee use those Scotch brite discs on the managers nephews 3.4L DOHC Grand Prix (cylinder head gasket work)...... that engine didn't make it 20 miles before it wiped out all the lower end bearings.

I tried to tell him not to do it that way, but he's far too smart to listen to anyone else (or freekin read).

Of course it's not his fault, he's never had a problem doing it that way before. In reality he still hasn't ever had any problem doing it that way before, even now...because he can't understand how he caused the problem, and admit fault.
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Yeah I'll just go ahead and send it to a shop then literally I don't want any more problems with this car.
Old 05-04-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
The symptoms you described certainly sound like a head gasket breach. If you want further confirmation you could do a Block Test on it. Block Test is also good for check after HG repair. As 5.0 suggested bring the cylinder head to a machinist for crack/leak inspection, valve leak inspection, levelness.

If the machinist recommends a rebuild that generally entails:
1) mill for level (flat)
2) remove valve train and clean entire head in a hot tank
3) valves lapping or 3-angle valve job (more expenssive)
4) replace valve stem seals
5) polish valves

Also, use a quality straight edge and feeler gauges to check the block for level. Unlikely it's warped but in the realm of possibility.
There was oil in my intake manifold and throttle body. Another symptom?
Old 05-04-2017

There was oil in my intake manifold and throttle body. Another symptom?
No, that's pretty typical.
Old 05-04-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No, that's pretty typical.
No like ALOT of oil
Old 05-04-2017
Administrator
Administrator

pic?
Old 05-04-2017

No like ALOT of oil
Define "A LOT".

2 quarts would be a lot LOL.
A small puddle in the bottom of the manifold seems pretty typical, because the PCV system dumps into the intake and PCV air can contain engine oil vapor/mist which may condense or cling to the walls and eventually run to the bottom. Oil is pretty heavy so it will usually just sit down there.

Did I read somewhere you had tried seafoam or B12 or some sort of similar intake douche product? If so, that might have pooled in the manifold too. Same for gas and coolant if any was spilled into the intake during your work.
Old 05-04-2017
Registered!!

Define "A LOT".

A small puddle in the bottom of the manifold seems pretty typical, because the PCV system dumps into the intake and PCV air can contain engine oil vapor/mist which may condense or cling to the walls and eventually run to the bottom. Oil is pretty heavy so it will usually just sit down there.

Did I read somewhere you had tried seafoam or B12 or some sort of similar intake douche product? If so, that might have pooled in the manifold too. Same for gas and coolant if any was spilled into the intake during your work.
Well I did a D16y8 intake swap and I didn't have a hole for the PVC hose to go in right next to the IAT sensor so I had a port on the back of the manifold so I just ran it there no idea if that has anything to do with it.

And nope wasn't me. Everytime I use seafoam I do it correctly.
Old 05-04-2017
Registered!!

Define "A LOT".

I circled where I ran the PVC hose to
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_003744.png
Views:	37
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	89808  
Old 05-04-2017

Well I did a D16y8 intake swap and I didn't have a hole for the PVC hose to go in right next to the IAT sensor so I had a port on the back of the manifold so I just ran it there no idea if that has anything to do with it.
I had pictured in my head the stock plastic manifold, it has a huge open plenum chamber below the throttle body that can catch a lot.

But anyway, some residue is normal.
If the amount you saw couldn't be normal, how would it get there? (logically)
Old 05-04-2017

I circled where I ran the PVC hose to
Then I'd expect the PCV to be the source and it's probably not a problem.
Old 05-14-2017
Registered!!

Sent the head to the machine shop. Gonna have valves redone and new seals for 300$ not bad huh?