Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 Honda Civic Ex Crank/No Start - removed fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristinb737 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Honda Civic Ex Crank/No Start - removed fuel injectors

Hey guys.

New here. The husband and I spent the weekend trying to fix our 2005 Honda Civic Ex.

Background:
Wasn't running for about a year and a half - we got it to run and we went to drive it and we got about a mile down the road and it just quit on a hill and wouldn't start anymore so we had it towed and it's been sitting since Octoberish.

This weekend while working we couldn't even get it to turn over it would barely even click. So, we changed some fuses, we pulled out the back seats to check the fuel pump was gettting power, we tested the starter, and we tested the coil packs, and we changed all 4 spark plugs. It ran after all that but idled rough and had a hard time starting at first.

The next thing that we found to check was the fuel injectors so we pulled all the crap off to get to them to check them and pulled the fuel rail along with all the injectors out to test them with a multi meter and they were all good, so we put them back in, connected all the connectors back, and now we can't get it to start at all. It is getting fuel through the lines.

what should we do next? Let me know if I need to clarify anything else or get any pictures to you all. Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-16-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Honda Civic Ex Crank/No Start - removed fuel injectors

any check engine light?
Old 04-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
any check engine light?

On the first go around it was the malfunction indicator lamp icon and it was flashing.

this time when we crank it the oil light flashes with it but the battery and the malfunction light stay on https://ibb.co/dM04Lk
Old 04-16-2017
Registered!!

We are going to pull out the battery and put it back and see if it didn't cause some kind of weird reset I think for the next step but after that not sure what else we would need to check.
Old 04-16-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

get the code read for the check engine light. That may help you find out what's going on. If it was flashing, that's an indication of a catalyst damaging misfire condition.
Old 04-16-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Did you completely pull the injectors out or just disconnect the wire harness from the injectors and test? Testing with a MM alone doesn't determine spray pattern, pressure (volume) and timing of spray. If you did remove them completely.. spray them into a bucket while cranking the engine to observe the above mentioned. Doing so will show whether gas is getting through the injectors.

If, fuel isn't getting through injectors then loosen banjo bolt at fuel filter and crank engine to see if fuel is at least getting that far. If no fuel at filter then test the main relay and check related fuses. Also test the fuel pressure regulator..if those are good then it could be an intermittent fuel pump issue. If that's the case..replace fuel pump with new or used. Since it sat so long it would be best to replace fuel filter, empty gas tank from the bottom and replace with new gas + a water remover additive (such as Heet brand). There may be water in the gas from condensation.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 04-17-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

No external fuel filter on a 7th gen, but there is still a banjo bolt on the rail you can loosen to see if its getting fuel
Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

I
Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Did you completely pull the injectors out or just disconnect the wire harness from the injectors and test? Testing with a MM alone doesn't determine spray pattern, pressure (volume) and timing of spray. If you did remove them completely.. spray them into a bucket while cranking the engine to observe the above mentioned. Doing so will show whether gas is getting through the injectors.

If, fuel isn't getting through injectors then loosen banjo bolt at fuel filter and crank engine to see if fuel is at least getting that far. If no fuel at filter then test the main relay and check related fuses. Also test the fuel pressure regulator..if those are good then it could be an intermittent fuel pump issue. If that's the case..replace fuel pump with new or used. Since it sat so long it would be best to replace fuel filter, empty gas tank from the bottom and replace with new gas + a water remover additive (such as Heet brand). There may be water in the gas from condensation.

thanks so much for all the info. We will definitely be trying these steps next along with getting the codes read as well.

the car was running (although very rough) before we pulled
the injectors out (also without disconnecting the battery before hand (dumb)) so I'm wondering if it didn't jack something up with the codes because now we are getting all the error lights that weren't there before and it won't start. Everything is connected back properly, and the injectors went in fine. The only light that was there before when it would crank was the malfunction indicator lamp and it flashed. I didn't write down how many times it flashed either so that was my bad.

My husband is going to disconnect the battery and reconnect and see if that fixes anything if not we will go to the next steps or either have it towed to a shop, depending on what we feel like we can handle lol.
Old 04-17-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Colin42
No external fuel filter on a 7th gen
Thanks. I didn't know that..do now. Owned two 6th gens and now a 5th gen.
My mom's car is a 7th gen Civic however, it's never had any fuel related issues and I've never bothered looking for a fuel filter.
Old 04-17-2017

Originally Posted by Kristinb737
IMy husband is going to disconnect the battery and reconnect and see if that fixes anything
Sounds like he's performing an ECU reset.
A reminder in case he doesn't know the proceedure:

1) Turn off all electronics (radio, a/c, dome lights, etc..)
2) Disconnect negative cable from battery
3) Turn on headlights/brights and pump brake pedal a few times (drains residual charge).
4) Wait five minutes and reconnect negative cable
5) Turn engine on and let idle for 15 minutes (keep all electronics off).
Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Sounds like he's performing an ECU reset.
A reminder in case he doesn't know the proceedure:

1) Turn off all electronics (radio, a/c, dome lights, etc..)
2) Disconnect negative cable from battery
3) Turn on headlights/brights and pump brake pedal a few times (drains residual charge).
4) Wait five minutes and reconnect negative cable
5) Turn engine on and let idle for 15 minutes (keep all electronics off).
thank you! He is trying it now, will report back when he finishes.

thank you so so much for all your help!