Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Squealing belt after alternator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robinc88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Squealing belt after alternator replacement

Hi, I apologize in advance if someone has asked this question before but a cursory search didn't come up with anything.

I have a 2003 Honda Civic LX Coupe.

My alternator was replaced in January, along with my alternator and power steering belts. About a week later, I noticed a high pitched squealing noise from the engine when in idle or coming to a stop. I brought it back to the mechanic and he tightened the belts and sent me on my way. It seemed to fix the problem but about a week later the sound came back. I brought it back to the mechanic and he replaced both belts after he noticed that the sound came on again after he had tightened them. He mentioned that the sound came back when the a/c was turned on.

I drove the car a few days later and the sound started immediately when I turned on the car. The a/c was on so I turned it off and the sound went away. I turned the a/c back on and the sound started almost immediately. The sound is usually while idle but has now graduated to revving the engine as well. All sounds, however, only happen when the a/c or rear defroster is turned on.

Does anyone have any thoughts? My mechanic is more than willing to fix this issue at no cost since it started after he replaced the belts and alternator but I'm getting frustrated with bringing my car into the mechanic every week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Squealing belt after alternator replacement

Usually on the oldersystem before one belt, the alternator is a thin wide belt with about 5 v notches. Back when I had my 95 civic, I replace the belt and had the same problem. I had saved a few bucks on an aftermarket belt. It was like the tops or the sharp edges of the belt were a little flatter compared to OEM so it had less drive surface engaged. That alternator was also a bear to get to and next to impossible to pull up and tighten at the same time. I even have a tool and nothing would fit in there. Not sure how anyone could actually check belt tension.
I finally got a new OEM belt, put a small block under alternator and a small screw jack to turn out to load belt and tighten up alternator. Never another problem.
Your AC belt has a draw bolt adjuster.
Think you have an honest mechanic but not very smart. Is the AC belt separate from PS and Alt.
Even if you can get it right and it is a aftermarket belt, they usually last a year.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 03-07-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Bolt stripped on the alternator bracket? A/C compressor on its way out?
Old 03-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Imma guess that Aftermarket belts were installed, now either it keeps stretching tie big belt or it was never really installed tight enough in the first place.