Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Water finding a way into the cabin 2002 LX Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoseyEm2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Water finding a way into the cabin 2002 LX Coupe

I have water coming into my car and I don't know how or where all I know that whenever it rains my driver side carpet is always soaking wet. Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Water finding a way into the cabin 2002 LX Coupe

Last huge water leak I had to chase was caused by dried out body seam sealer (dried and cracked) just under the bottom corner of the windshield. Water would trickle right in when testing with a garden hose and watching up under the dash.

Sorry, no pics of the leak source......but it's a helluva lot of work to get the interior stripped, get the carpet lifted up and dried out so it doesn't mildew.

There are many possible places for leaks though....testing and inspection is needed.
Old 02-26-2017
Registered!!

Well on the bottom.of my door panel it's sometimes wet and sometimes my speaker is wet could it be a window seal? But idk how that would result in a wet carpet. It has no connection.
Old 02-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The door is hollow, water is allowed to pass through it, it's designed that way....BUT

There is supposed to be a thin plastic liner (vapor barrier) sealed to the door covering the holes before the door panel is installed. If that's damaged, unattached or missing that can allow water to enter the cabin.

Random google image of vapor barrier
Old 02-26-2017
Registered!!

Okay so what I did is I took off the door panel to find that it was taped down so I ripped all the tape off and I took some caulk and I lined it all around the door and made sure the liner was on correctly. And then I took off my feender to realize that the lining that is between the fender liner and the actual door was moving around so I cliped it back in place. Before all of this I took of the roof strips to see if there was something there like a drain that's clogged but there was nothing there it was just dirty so I cleaned that. Fingers crossed if I fixed it.
Old 02-26-2017

Next dry out the carpets... The padding underneath the carpet you can see can hold a whole lot of water.

If you didn't find the cause.....Get a flashlight and sit in the car under a sprinkler or have someone hose the car down, search to find where water actually enters.
Old 02-26-2017

Water leak car:
Seats stripped out, carpet lifted and held up with lumber, huge fan left on it overnight

Name:  iDkeGIR.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  152.6 KB
Old 02-27-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Water leak car:
Seats stripped out, carpet lifted and held up with lumber, huge fan left on it overnight

That is a nice fan. Bet it comes in handy for things like that.
Old 09-12-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
Water leak car:

had to do this sunday

need to find the damn leak now
Old 09-12-2017

Originally Posted by Colin42
had to do this sunday

need to find the damn leak now
It's probably easier to locate the leak while the interior is removed!
Old 09-13-2017

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Very true, I have a feeling it's the grommet for my aftermarket fog lights, that's the first place I'll check, then I'll start checking around the windshield
Old 09-27-2017

Grommet had fallen out, flipped it and glued it in with some rtv and smeared some over it for good measure. Need some rain now