Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering Rack Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jts_01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering Rack Leak

Hi guys,

New to the forum. I was replacing my oil pan on my 03 civic lx when I noticed a leak on the steering rack right around a certain bolt. I was wondering if it can be repaired (gasket replacement of some sort?) or does the entire rack need to be replaced? The steering seems a little stiff but I don't drive the car that much so it might just be in my head. Power steering fluid level is within normal limits. Thanks in advance!

Name:  IMG_6596_zpsisqrksob.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  178.4 KB
Old 12-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steering Rack Leak

Is it a leak that drips to the ground and causes fluid loss?

IF it took 15 years to make a moist spot and a stain, I would not worry much. Clean it off and see what it looks like in the future.
Old 12-21-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

When my 10 year old 1994 Civic boot tore, it dumped fluid all over the place. But interestingly, the tank never dropped. I did my research on price. Both autozone and the dealer told me to replace rack. I cleaned up the torn boot and cut off the remaining pieces. Ran it a while on the stands and saw no leaks. (Not a drip) It had simple weeped the boots full in a 100K of miles. (The rack even have a small crossover pipe between them for balance) I put a new Honda boot on it and it never missed a beat. If it's not dripping, I sure would not worry about it. My 94 2 door coupe had stiff steering to. RIP's car and she never did like it. On a long trip, that stiffness got old. Dealer told me it was designed that way to give a sporty feedback???
Old 12-22-2016
Registered!!

jts_01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Is it a leak that drips to the ground and causes fluid loss?

No leaks that I see on the ground, fluid is normal.

I appreciate the responses, I guess I will leave it alone for now.