Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible Overheat Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skispcs is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible Overheat Issues

What temperature does your coolant temperature normally run at?

I have a 2005 Civic 1.7L that got hot the other day because the thermoswitch went bad. I replaced the thermoswitch but the car seems to be running hotter than normal now. The car smells hot and the exhaust does its metal crinkling sound as it cools after shutting the car off. These are not normal symptoms for the car.

The gauge is right in the middle like usual but I have an OBD2 reader hooked up as I drive and the temperature has gotten up to 238 or so while stopped at a light. It is 200 to 210 when driving on the highway. Interesting to note that the gauge does not move much between 190 and 238.

I read the sticky on overheating and I ordered an adapter to pressure the test the cylinders as I suspect I might have a Head Gasket issue.
Old 12-19-2016
Zed
Registered!!

Zed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Possible Overheat Issues

Is your radiator fan working?
Old 12-19-2016
Registered!!

Skispcs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zed
Is your radiator fan working?
Thank you for the response.

Yes it is.
After replacing the thermoswitch, I verified that the fan comes on when it gets hot.
Old 12-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skispcs
What temperature does your coolant temperature normally run at?
Operating temp should stay between thermostat opening temp at the lower range, and fan switch temp at the upper range. Usually between 180-200ish, give or take a little....and depending on loads and ambient temps that can vary a lot too.
My own car will run 195-212 or so.

You reached 238 ---and the fans do work? Is the radiator level low? Problems can arise with less than a quart of fluid missing from the radiator.

Radiator low, and overflow reservoir overfilled?

Engine cooling depends upon air flowing through the fine fins in the middle of the radiator.....Are the fins in the radiator and AC condensor clear, clean, free of bugs leaves dirt and road grime? No newspaper or paper bag got blown up in the grille blocking air flow?
Fins not folded over causing air flow blockage? Got 200k worth of bugs and sand blocking air flow? (yes it happens!)

Interesting to note that the gauge does not move much between 190 and 238.
The gauge you see is heavily buffered by electronics. There's probably a 50 degree or so temperature range (somewhat normal ranges) the buffering effect will keep the needle right in the middle of the gauge ---until the temp goes way beyond the normal ranges.