Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heat randomly stops working and temps shoot up

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04CivicGuy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Heat randomly stops working and temps shoot up

Strange, I posted this 2 hours ago but I can't find it anywhere.

Anyway, I have a 2004 Civic LX, 4 door, automatic. The car normally takes long'ish to warm up on cold days but I only noticed today because it was taking longer than it typically does and was blowing cold air on the full hot setting. I then saw the temp gauge shoot way up. I pulled right over and shut the car down, started it back up and the temp went down and hot air started blowing out the vents.

It was fine for a few miles, then I stopped at a traffic light and the air switched to blowing cool air again and the temps shot up. I was right next to work so I just pulled in and parked.

Any ideas? I saw the sticky for temp issues but this seems more random. I can call the mechanic but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm potentially facing first.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Heat randomly stops working and temps shoot up

Check for a blown head gasket. Very common in these engines.
Old 11-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04CivicGuy7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ouch, any idea what I might be looking at cost'wise if that's the problem?
Old 11-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04CivicGuy7
Strange, I posted this 2 hours ago but I can't find it anywhere.
The system 'ghosted' your first post for some reason.

Symptoms listed are usually caused by low coolant level, typical root cause is head gasket failure (if external coolant leaks are not found).

Most people will find their coolant has puked out of the overflow bottle covering the battery and fan shrouds, while the coolant level inside the radiator is found to be very low.

Also, many people (mechanics included) aren't able to correctly diagnose the head gasket problems in this particular engine on the first try because it may pass every typical check they can think of (at least while the leak is small).
You can find a ton of threads on this.