Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

AC Compressor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mapdog will become famous soon enough
AC Compressor Replacement

The only thing I would like to know from this thread is have you replaced your stock compressor, what replacement part did you use, and is it working(and for how long)?

My AC Compressor pulley bearings are shot.

I am thinking of replacing the whole compressor because I want this to last.

As you know there are a lot of options but near as I can tell, Honda part 38810-PLM-A11 is a Sanden TRSA09.

I wonder if the Denso 471-7051 is as good (or better?).

How about all the other compressors at the auto parts store?
Old 04-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC Compressor Replacement

There's a whole lot of people that replace the whole compressor when it's not really necessary.....or it gets replaced by shops because they can't get the smaller parts when they call a parts store. (Most would never call a dealer for better parts LOL)....and sometimes it's replaced because there's more profit in it.

To JUST solve the problem (bad pulley bearing):

My preference is usually to keep the original compressor whenever possible, only replace the pulley/clutch set and maybe the field coil.

I never saw a good reason to replace a good, working, original compressor just to install something of questionable quality/reliability.

It's pretty easy to change the clutch/pulley/coil "in the car" without removing the compressor or messing with freon. On a 7th gen car it's hanging right out after you take off the tire and splash shield, nothing really in the way of getting the work done.

Name:  YZtmKpQm.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  16.4 KB

Honda sells just the pulley and clutch, and the coil separate from the compressor.
Aftermarket doesn't sell separately, they make you buy a whole compressor.

Factory (Honda dealer parts) reman compressor comes with clutch complete.
Aftermarket rebuilt is a crapshoot, usually not worth messing with if you expect it to last longer than the warranty period.

A genuine brand new Sanden unit might be worth using though.
Old 04-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mapdog will become famous soon enough

Thanks for taking time to provide such a good and detailed answer. Let me provide more information to see if you still feel the same way.

1) The system is going to have to be opened soon anyhow. The condenser is pretty worn out after 271,000 miles. Even though it doesn't leak, the coils are starting to deteriorate and fall off.
2) The clutch set from Honda is $181.22, the field coil is $76.78 plus shipping. A brand new Sanden TRSA09 is $241. I'm not positive I need a new coil but I would have to order it anyhow.
3) Even though I believe the compressor works fine, it does have an awful lot of miles on it.
4) I've never changed a clutch pulley inside the car. Some people reported that they had a very hard time with it.
Old 04-13-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Some people reported that they had a very hard time with it.
7th gen is easy to do .. If you can do it on a bench, it can be done in the car almost as easy.

For comparison, I could post some pics of a 8th gen done in the car..... it's a PITA but I can get it done. Not many others can.
Or a 3rd gen CRV, have to unbolt the compressor and contort the thing while hanging by its hoses to change the pulley and coil.

If you decide to go ahead and do the whole compressor along with condensor, pay careful attention to getting the PAG oil amount correct for the system. Too little oil can cause a short compressor life, and too much oil can drastically hinder cooling efficiency.