Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Air Compressor Reroute

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002HondaCivicE is an unknown quantity at this point
Air Compressor Reroute

I have a 2002 Civic Ex which was making some rattling noises after I had some work done on it. I took it back to the mechanic who said my air compressor is going bad and needs replaced. He quoted me a cool $660 to fix the problem which I don't want to pay for seeing as I already spent some serious money on the car. The guy told me when I was leaving if I didn't want to replace the compressor I should at least take the belt off of it.

1) Is it still safe to drive if I do nothing?
2) How do I take the belt off of it? Should I try to pay a mechanic to do it?
Old 01-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Compressor Reroute

2002..... You can't just remove the belt, because it also operates the alternator.

Go to the parts store and ask for alternator belt for 2002 Civic DX --without AC.

Belt will fit on crank pulley and alternator.
Install.
Search this forum for a DIY on replacing the timing belt on that car.....that one should contain some descriptions/steps for the alternator (except you don't need to remove the alternator to do what you want today) just use the steps for loosen and tighten, and remove and install the drive belt. .

If you can handle the above, then for about $14 you just bypassed the AC compressor.

Don't forget to tighten all the alternator bolts again.... you could fry the engine computer if you forget.

Also.....Is the compressor noisy or is it just a bad pulley bearing? Honda sells just the pulley and related parts separately from the compressor, if the compressor itself is still good.