Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need a new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crustacean is an unknown quantity at this point
Need a new transmission

So just picked up a 2003 ex civic with 100k on the clock... and it turns out it needs a new trans. I only paid 1000 for the car, and im getting quoted $2700 for the trans, so i might not even have it done.

The new trans is supposedly going to cost $1600 from Jasper. Anyone know of another place to get a reman trans? If i could get one for $1000 with a decent warranty, id probably have it done.
Old 12-03-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a new transmission

Check synchrotech-transmissions.com

I hear they do good work. When I was looking to replace my transmission, it would have cost shy of $900 shipped, and you just call them to schedule a pickup of your old tranny.

Shoot a PM to maxtierney. I believe he's running one of their transmissions on his beast.
Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

Awesome tip, thanks. I saw their page but i wasnt sure if they were reputable.

I might just pick up that trans and try to do it myself. Would probably be worth it to save thousands hah.

If anyone is running one of their transmissions, I'd be interested to hear about your experience.

Edit: Called my shop, looks like they won't touch anything but the $1600 Jasper transmission. I'll be installing this one myself...

Last edited by crustacean; 12-03-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard nothing but good things about them
Old 12-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

H&A Transmissions

hnatrans.com
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Thanks man. All of these shops are in California ha. Luckily shipping to the east coast seems pretty reasonably priced.
Old 12-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crustacean
Thanks man. All of these shops are in California ha. Luckily shipping to the east coast seems pretty reasonably priced.
We (the shop I work for) have tried a couple of transmissions from H&A with good results, they were sent out from the Chicago area...so they may have warehouses at various locations around the country.

They were sent with an add-on external trans cooler, they expect us to bypass the original trans cooler in the radiator so there's no chance of contamination by leftover trans debris in the stock cooler. (A good idea for any trans job if you don't have access to cooler cleaning/flushing equipment.)