Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blown motor, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spatel133 is an unknown quantity at this point
Blown motor, need help!

Hey guys, im new to the forum and could use some advice. I have a 2003 honda civic Lx with a d17a1 with a blown motor. Its got 117k miles on it. seems like the timing belt snapped even though i had it swapped at around 90k at a honda dealership. Honda wont do anything about it. Id like to get it back on the road, but i cant seem to find a low milage d17a1. I see d17a all over craigslist (North Jersey) for like $500. Been reading online to only see if the swap is possible and i read mixed reviews. i attempted contacting people who have tried it but heard no response. Other than the motor, what do i need to buy? read many different things about if i swap the ecu, i need to get the key immobilized at a dealership but not all dealerships can do it since the ecu is from japan. trying to find the cheapest option since im on a budget. I know the car will run but how will it run? how slow is the acceleration?
Old 12-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Blown motor, need help!

So this the motor blown or did the timing belt snap? A snapped timing belt could result in needing a new head.

I would remove the valve cover and inspect the belt. Why do you think the belt snapped?
Old 12-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spatel133 is an unknown quantity at this point

well im guessing its a timing belt. what happened was the car was struggling accelerating, than the car's ignition coil blew off, and it wont turn over anymore.
Old 12-01-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spatel133
well im guessing its a timing belt. what happened was the car was struggling accelerating, than the car's ignition coil blew off, and it wont turn over anymore.
Try cranking it by hand using a socket wrench, extension, 17mm socket on the crankshaft bolt and rotate counter-clockwise. First remove the spark plugs to make it easier to rotate. Also, remove the upper timing cover and valve cover to watch and inspect belt.
Old 12-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

, than the car's ignition coil blew off,
It blew a spark plug out of its hole?

May be an easy fix?
Old 12-01-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...so is the belt still attached or what?
Old 12-02-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OP you say you're on a budget, yet you want to replace the engine??

instead of declaring "it blew up" and trying to pin blame on the dealers timing belt job (of course they won't do anything when you do as you did) when you really don't know what happened yet....

you should figure out what really happened and see if it is fixable.

if you are really on a budget, this may be far cheaper than trying to stuff a wrong engine in it.

You say it blew a coil out...... experience says that means a spark plug blew out of the hole.....
If this is correct, NOW who installed those spark plugs???

this can be a really easy fix and far cheaper than an engine replacement.