Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stubborn Castle Nut

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
manfredww1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stubborn Castle Nut

I have been trying to remove this castle nut below my ball joint for the past 48 hours. I have tried specialty sockets which dig into the nut, those do not work. I have tried soaking the nut in PB Blaster and then using vice grips. All I am doing is rounding off the nut as you can see . I was thinking of trying a cold chisel but I really do not want to damage the bolt .If I did use a chisel how would I go about it. Any suggestions or other ideas?

Old 08-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bran is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stubborn Castle Nut

If you can still grip it, heat up the nut until it is red hot then crank on it should come right off. You can pick up a torch at home depot. If you cant get a grip on it might want to try a nut spliter.
Old 08-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
manfredww1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read that heat near the ball joint will make the boot on the ball joint melt . Do you think a nut splitter will fit in that location?
Old 08-10-2015
Registered!!

Bran is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes heat is bad near ball joints and bearings... But so are stripped nuts lol. From your pic it looks like you should have room for the splitter.
Old 08-10-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would torch it.
Old 08-10-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Did you remove the cotter pin? It looks like it is still visible in the 1st picture.

Do not heat balljoints that you plan to reuse. Do not heat balljoints that you do not plan to reuse. Heat can make a ball joint explode with enough force to throw pieces of steel through metal siding. I would use a grinder with a cutoff wheel to slice through the nut. With care you can cut the nut without damaging threads.
Old 08-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Search youtube for exploding ball joint
Old 08-10-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Search youtube for exploding ball joint

Here is one that is NOT for the squeamish. It is a surgery video and for those that don't recognize the item, it is the flat metal plate at the top of the ball joint.

The morale of the story DO NOT HEAT BALLJOINTS EVER.
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manfredww1
I have been trying to remove this castle nut below my ball joint for the past 48 hours. I have tried specialty sockets which dig into the nut, those do not work. I have tried soaking the nut in PB Blaster and then using vice grips. All I am doing is rounding off the nut as you can see . I was thinking of trying a cold chisel but I really do not want to damage the bolt .If I did use a chisel how would I go about it. Any suggestions or other ideas?

Get your pipe wrench. Do not heat it.
Old 08-15-2015
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

Ball joints are cheap and easy to replace, cut the nut and the bolt you panzy
Old 08-17-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...stop f'in around, buy two new ball joints, a tie rod separator and an angle grinder.

believe me it will save you sooo much time and effort.

Cut right through the castle nut and the threaded lower portion of the ball joint, then use the tie rod separator, then a hammer to smash the remains of the ball joint out.

then install the new ones.
Old 08-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

get a grinder and cut it off,

don't tell me you are planning on re-using it at this point

i dont see how this is possible if you were using the correct size socket to begin with

Last edited by mikey1; 08-17-2015 at 11:11 AM.