Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Security light fast blink?

Old 06-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin_646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Security light fast blink?

What does it mean when the security light does a fast blink?
My alarm will go off if I open the door, when the red light on the steering column is blinking fast.

It's a 05 Civic Hybrid.

Sometimes I will come home, get out of my car, go check my mail, or look at my tomato plants and NOT lock the car (yet)

Sometimes when I do this, then the red security light will start blinking fast. Then my car alarm will go off, sometimes when I open the door, sometimes when the car is just sitting there and I have NOT opened the door.

When I push the Lock button on my key FOB, then the car locks and stays locked and alarm doesn't go off. It works correctly, when locked. The red light blinks slowly, when locked/armed.

This started about a month ago.

What mode is the alarm in, when it's doing a fast blink?
Why would an alarm go off, when the car is NOT locked/armed.

It's the factory alarm.

Thank you,
Kevin
Old 06-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security light fast blink?

I think it's a dealer installed accessory security system, sold by Honda.

Got the user manual for it?
Check this link but I can't be certain it's actually for the car you have
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/69035/Honda-Security-System.html

Kinda sounds like it's set to 'auto-arm' with the fast blinking light.....

Check all of the dome light switches in the door jambs. If one is bad the system won't know a door is open, or a sticking switch might click on long after a door was opened.
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin_646 is an unknown quantity at this point

eZone,

Thank you very much! Yes I think that was it.
Thanks for the link to the manual. I did not know there is separate manual for the security system.

I was able to change it from "Auto-Arm" to Manual. I think that has fixed it.

Here's the weird thing about this function: When it Auto-Arms, it DOESN'T LOCK the doors. The manual says this and this was my experience.

Automatic Alarm, I guess you just get out of your car, walk away and the alarm sets automatically. Which would be fine, but...

This seems so useless to me. Why would you want your alarm set, but the doors unlocked?

Only reason I can think of: You want to set a trap for someone. You think someone is prowling around, looking for things to steal. So you put your old cell phone on your car seat, let your Civic "auto-arm," leaving the doors unlocked and see if he opens the door to steal it. Since it's unlocked, and the alarm will go off when he opens the door.

How else could that be used? (alarm set, but doors unlocked) How is that useful?
Old 06-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't sure the manual was for your specific car.

The engineers apparently did not consult anyone that would actually have to use the security system when they designed it LOL