Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 coupe LX ceiling fabric coming off

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Countryboynlt is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 coupe LX ceiling fabric coming off

Hey guys,
I just bought my first honda civic. It has a couple issues though. The ceiling carpet is falling down and the foam is dry rotten. Is this fixable? If so, any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 coupe LX ceiling fabric coming off

Box of straight pins? Decorative upholstery tacks? Create designs/patterns as you tack it back in place!

Rip it all down and glue some other material up there?
Rip it all down and leave it?

/got nuthin'
Old 03-31-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

There is a diy somewhere around here. You can scrap that foam off and re glue new headliner material or get some fabric from a store and put that up. Super swag! Or rip it off and worry about it later like I did.
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Mine was falling down at the back window near the edge of the fabric so I was able to get some spray adhesive from Lowe's and get it stick back up there. But it seems to be falling back down now about a year later.
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikehampton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
Mine was falling down at the back window near the edge of the fabric so I was able to get some spray adhesive from Lowe's and get it stick back up there. But it seems to be falling back down now about a year later.
Yes, the glue/foam up there has a finite lifespan. It gets quite hot up there in summer months.

My 03 coupe has never been garaged. My headliner started failing in the rear window as well about 3 years ago, my headliner spray adhesive is still holding the rear, however the headliner is recently starting to fail closer to the middle and cannot be 'repaired' that way.

A shop in Orange, TX offered to do a headliner reupholster for about $150. It's also a doable DIY project. I'll probably pay to have it done once it bothers me enough.

The tack suggestion is a pretty common 'fix.' I think it would function on these headliners. I would be concerned about damaging the headliner board though.

On a different note, I've had more trouble with the fabric that's glued to the interior of my coupe's front doors. I've had to re-glue it twice in the car's 13 year lifetime thus far (once a year 8 and again at year 11).