Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

OEM Headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thecerealguy is an unknown quantity at this point
OEM Headgasket

Hi, I've been lurking the forums for a bit because I most likely have a head gasket problem. I was wondering if this is the OEM headgasket for a 2004 Honda Civic Si (EX). I am from Canada and the choices for auto parts here are slim. I was also wondering if you can reuse the head bolts when changing the head gasket. Everything is stock and has never been modded in any way.

https://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDeta...ead-Gasket-Set
Old 10-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: OEM Headgasket

i don't think that website sells OEM parts.....that looks like an aftermarket head gasket to me.....go to a honda dealership and buy one.....yes you can re-use the bolts

Last edited by mikey1; 10-10-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^What he said.

No online dealers in your end of the country? Run across the border to a US dealer?

http://torontohondaparts.com/
Old 10-10-2014
Registered!!

Hmm I checked that website and it offered Nippon Leakless and ishino stone for OEM headgaskets. I read a bit more and ishino and Nippon are both OEM suppliers. So I guess the head gasket set from auto parts way is actually an OEM set.
Old 10-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thecerealguy
So I guess the head gasket set from auto parts way is actually an OEM set.
no its not the same as OEM,

they might claim it is "OEM quality".....or "OEM approved"

but its still not the same as an OEM honda gasket,

just look at the price difference between the two, that should tell you something, you get what you pay for, do you want to be replacing that gasket again in another 6 months or a year?.....in the long run how much money is that really saving you?

dish out the extra money now, its well worth it in the long run
Old 10-10-2014
Registered!!

Oh thanks, I didn't realize there was a difference. I just assumed that if it was made by the OEM supplier it would be OEM. I just called my local Honda dealership and they sell the head gasket alone for $62.90. They don't have a head gasket kit or anything. Do you think it is necessary to have the whole kit and replace all the other seals and gaskets that are included in a kit?
Old 10-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thanks, I didn't realize there was a difference.
Maybe, maybe not. It's damn hard to tell, so why take the chance on a huge job like that?

------------------------------------
CSB:
Just this week we had to get some LCA bushings for an Odyssey.....and Danger Zone was the only place on our side of the freekin PLANET that had some in stock that day.

They sent us their famous scary 'made-in-China' white boxes of parts.
Lo, and behold, they actually had the OEM bushings in them!!!! Right part numbers molded in and errthang! I'd have never thunked it would be, but it was.

You KNOW the Zoo employees could not tell us ahead of time what the parts were gonna be either.
------------------------------------

Do you think it is necessary to have the whole kit and replace all the other seals and gaskets that are included in a kit?
Depends on how much you are going to do and how much you think you can get away with reusing.

Does the head have to be stripped for the machine shop? Is it going to get a valve job?? Are you going to pull the water manifold off the end? Are you going to pull the intake? Does it need a cam seal?

Dist. blank plug? (it's not in the set anyway, gotta get it separate)

They don't have a head gasket kit or anything
There IS a head gasket SET available through the dealer, and it includes the valve stem seals if you want them. May need to be special ordered, but it is available.

Otherwise you have to buy the gaskets you need individually from the dealer, and you probably need to know ahead of time what all you are going to need LOL

If you have plenty of time you could take it apart and make a list of gaskets to get as the job progresses?