Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2nd Gear Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vtecskeeter is an unknown quantity at this point
2nd Gear Trouble

I have a 2001 ex with 132k on the odometer. All the gears are fine and shift well except second gear. It is never when I'm up shifting, but when I downshift, it will pop out of second gear sometimes. It doesn't grind or anything. It will just pop out and if I put it back in, it will be fine. Any advice? Could it be linkage?
Old 06-18-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2nd Gear Trouble

Hmm, it could be (I'm sure ezone will have a lot more to say on that) but one basic thing you could try is changing the transmission fluid if you haven't done it in a while.
Old 06-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vtecskeeter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poopies
Hmm, it could be (I'm sure ezone will have a lot more to say on that) but one basic thing you could try is changing the transmission fluid if you haven't done it in a while.
The trans fluid was changed last year when I had some trans work done. The input shaft bearing went out and had it replaced. All new gaskets and fluid. The person who did it said he inspected everything, i guess including the synchros.
Old 06-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poopies
Hmm, it could be (I'm sure ezone will have a lot more to say on that)
Yeah. It could be a whole lot of things.

If it isn't an issue with shift lever, cables, and change levers, then it's inside the trans and that's a whole lot of work.