Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic 03 overheating - confirmed HG issue ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shash_bro is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 03 overheating - confirmed HG issue ..

Hi All

I'm new here. I just got a Honda Civic 2003 (Salvage) 1.7L. The owner told Salvage is due to hit from back and evrything was fixed and good. Anyway, I drive 40 miles and engine overheating, temp gauge at 80% I turn off and after 3 hours fill coolant and drive another 40 miles and temp at 75% I turn off.. 1.5 hours later fill coolant and take it to auto repair shop in bay area. They charge $65 and tell me its head gasket. I also thought so since I saw bubble from radiator cap and white smoke with water droplets from exhaust before I took it to repair shop. Estimate from 3 auto repair shops $882(shop1), $1100 (shop2), $900 (shop3). Are these reasonable in east bay area, California. Also, I want to know if someone on these forums is able to work on my car as practice ... I will buy all parts and tools needed. I live in apartments and cannot work on car there, so if someone has a garage or if you know if I can rent a workshop for a few hours to complete this task .. I'm ok. Basically, I want to learn how to do it and need help, if someone who's interested please let me know. I am safe and can meet at a public place before and provide ID for your safety and verification. Please let me know. Thanks much
Old 02-18-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Civic 03 overheating - confirmed HG issue ..

Parts list w/ tips:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...arts-list.html

There might be someone out there up for the task, but from what I've read the procedure itself is kind of an unpleasant pain in the ****. The prices seem about average though. If you do it yourself or find someone, you could install a Stage 1 camshaft ($300-$400) while you're at it! More horsepower and you're already gonna be in there anyway.
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shash_bro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poopies
Parts list w/ tips:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...arts-list.html

There might be someone out there up for the task, but from what I've read the procedure itself is kind of an unpleasant pain in the ****. The prices seem about average though. If you do it yourself or find someone, you could install a Stage 1 camshaft ($300-$400) while you're at it! More horsepower and you're already gonna be in there anyway.
Hi poppies
Thx much for quick reply with link .. I appreciate it.
Do you know if there's a place on this forum where I can find people to work on it, or work with me to fix it. Pls lemme know. Thx much
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i would do it if i was not 2,500 miles away
Old 02-18-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

You could try posting in the SoCal subforum...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/68-south-cali