Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

water leak and its not because of the weather!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazy4ladies is an unknown quantity at this point
water leak and its not because of the weather!

I have an unusual water leak, or possibly coolant... I drove the car around and it doesn't overheat. The temperature level on the cluster doesn't quite go over the half mark line. I ran the car with the a/c on and off. both times with about a 30 minute break. after I moved the car the first time there was a HUGE "water" puddle under the car... not sure if I need to do a head gasket repair, or its something with the a/c. the a/c does run very cold too. has anyone experience this before? going to take it to my buddy's shop tomorrow so we can get under it and check it out. much help would be appreciated, thanks!!
Old 09-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: water leak and its not because of the weather!

Job #1 of any air conditioner is to remove moisture (humidity) from the air.

It has to remove moisture before it can cool the air.

The water condenses on the evaporator coil, collects in the housing, then, finally, drains to the street below.

This is plain, clear water. It drips from the evaporator drain tube, roughly below the passengers footwell. 100% normal. No worries.

ALL air conditioners do this. Your home AC does too, central or window unit.

How much water you see is directly dependent on the humidity level in the air at any given time.

HTH
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Job #1 of any air conditioner is to remove moisture (humidity) from the air.

It has to remove moisture before it can cool the air.

The water condenses on the evaporator coil, collects in the housing, then, finally, drains to the street below.

This is plain, clear water. It drips from the evaporator drain tube, roughly below the passengers footwell. 100% normal. No worries.

ALL air conditioners do this. Your home AC does too, central or window unit.

How much water you see is directly dependent on the humidity level in the air at any given time.

HTH
thanks, I hate to question you, BUT ARE YOU SURE? it just looks like a lot of "water" under the car. my truck doesn't do that, at least not nearly half as much. its just unusual for me to see that because I have never seen it before. I Truly hope its what you say it is. thanks again
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

should there still be a large amount of water under my car even without the a/c running though?
Old 09-19-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazy4ladies
BUT ARE YOU SURE?
98%. I can't see it from here.

Taste it. Seriously. If it doesn't taste like plain water, then it's not plain water (spit it out).

Look for the origin, where the water is coming from. There is a rubber tube, about 1/2 inch diameter that sticks out through the firewall (down low, passengers side, below the steering gear) from the passengers compartment, this is the evaporator drain hose.

Antifreeze would be colored and taste sickeningly sweet......and it would be disappearing from the reservoir/radiator if it were leaking.
Same for the rest of the fluids....if none are low, then that 1/2 gallon of water on the floor is from your air conditioner.

HTH
Old 09-19-2013

should there still be a large amount of water under my car even without the a/c running though?
Yes. It can drip for quite a while after you shut off and exit the car.

They drip the entire time it takes me to change oil and rotate tires on some of these cars. LOL
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

Yes. It can drip for quite a while after you shut off and exit the car.

They drip the entire time it takes me to change oil and rotate tires on some of these cars. LOL

well I sure hope so, hopefully I can check it out tomorrow. ill definitely let everyone know something once I do just in case anyone else is experiencing this. I may try and take a pic of it tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2013
Registered!!

well its a head gasket leak... DANG IT!!! I noticed a DIY post so ill run thru it before everyone starts yelling at me to look before I post. if you guys have any helpful input leave some. thanks
Old 09-21-2013

Well, I assume it was not dripping clear clean water then.

Head gasket failure is quite common on that engine.
Pushes antifreeze into the reservoir until it overflows to the ground.
When hot, it should have been stinking horribly of a sickeningly sweet, syrupy smell.

If it overheated bad, it may be warped so have the head checked for flatness at a machine shop- if you don't have a precision sraightedge.

Yes, there are several threads dealing with head gaskets.
Old 09-28-2013
Registered!!

civicbyrc is an unknown quantity at this point

if its clear its condinsation dripping from your evaporator, normal.
Old 10-01-2013
Registered!!

well come to find out it wasn't a head gasket leak... shop told me it was a clogged pcv valve. had that replaced, along with the timing chain, spark plugs since they were in there. oh 2 days later oil started leaking. well they forgot to put a seal on the cover so it started leaking. sure would be nice if I had tools and knowledge to do this myself.
Old 10-01-2013

sure would be nice if I had tools and knowledge to do this myself.
Not trying to be offensive.......
Observation is the first step in solving problems.

This episode should have started with you actually identifying the puddle you found, rather than let me/us assume it was just plain water.

HTH
Old 10-02-2013
Registered!!

Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Not trying to be offensive.......
Observation is the first step in solving problems.

This episode should have started with you actually identifying the puddle you found, rather than let me/us assume it was just plain water.

HTH
EZone,

I like to read and learn. Could you explain how a clogged PCV would cause a large water leak? I could see it maybe pressurizing the crankcase and causing an oil leak. Just curious. Thanks.

Ed
Old 10-02-2013

Originally Posted by Scout1
Could you explain how a clogged PCV would cause a large water leak?
No.

I should tell you to ask whomever made that claim, because I don't buy that answer for one second.

Um...
So what was in the puddle?
Old 10-02-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

ezone, as a seasoned Honda technician, how many clogged PCV valves have you seen in this generation of Civic? I'm just curious.
Old 10-02-2013

Originally Posted by Matt_75
ezone, as a seasoned Honda technician,
Marinated...

how many clogged PCV valves have you seen in this generation of Civic? I'm just curious.
Clogged? 7th gen? Honestly, zero that I have seen/diagnosed/caused problems/whatever, I don't remember seeing any......but you have to remember I work in a dealer. By the time the cars would actually have problems like this, most are no longer coming here.
And they are not in a spot that is easily inspected, so they are ignored for the most part.

Theory:
The ones that clog tend to be the engines that have sludge buildup in them, and most of the good customers here don't have significant sludge buildup.

I wonder if OPs shop can produce the old, clogged PCV valve? Would it even be from the OPs engine?
Old 10-02-2013
Registered!!

well im just telling you guys what the dealership told me. my car isn't "draining" water like it was before I took it to the shop. I'd appreciate it you guys wouldn't insult my lack of car knowledge. that is why I am a member of this site to LEARN. isn't that the purpose of this site?
Old 10-02-2013

well im just telling you guys what the dealership told me. my car isn't "draining" water like it was before I took it to the shop. I'd appreciate it you guys wouldn't insult my lack of car knowledge. that is why I am a member of this site to LEARN. isn't that the purpose of this site?
I don't see where either of us insulted you, and I just want to know what the puddle was that you found.

Clogged PCV might make it leak oil, but not coolant or plain water either. But I still have no idea what your puddle was.