Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic - Help needed to disable seatbelt warning chime

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jj2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic - Help needed to disable seatbelt warning chime

Just got back from the Honda dealer and need some advice. My driver-side seatbelt sensor is malfunctioning, which causes the seatbelt light to stay on and the seatbelt chime to sound even when the seatbelt is engaged.

I always drive with my seatbelt on and I can deal with the light staying on, but the seatbelt chime is really annoying. Sometimes on long-distance drives it'll stop chiming but the light will stay on.

Because the buckle and belt are working properly, the dealer said the warranty would not cover repairs and they were looking to charge me approximately $350 for parts and labor to replace the driver seat belt buckle assembly.

I'm not paying that much for an inconvenient chime. The service rep stated that the only purpose for the seatbelt light and chime is to remind you to buckle up. I do that anyway.

So, is there any way to disable the seat belt chime? Can I pull a plug or a fuse? I figure I'll just wait until the seat belt has a physical failure of some sort and get it replaced for free. In the meantime, I'd like to shut off the annoying chime that sounds when I'm driving even while using the belt.

Suggestions? Thanks for reading.
Old 09-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wade623 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2004 Civic - Help needed to disable seatbelt warning chime

look for the connector for the wire for the seatbelt probably under the seat and check the connector if it keeps doing it i would probably just cut the wire and connect them together but im just lazy and probaly would do that cause it really wouldnt affect anything else and doesnt really matter any way if not go to a junkyard and get another buckle and put it in yourself it is only like one bolt holding it on so it really wouldnt be a big job