Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noise when applying brake at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06Honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise when applying brake at low speeds

When applying my brake pedal at low speeds: coming to a stop sign; slowing down to park etc there is a knocking sound when my brake is applied. I had the care checked out at a local garage where I have be going for a while now and trust their work. They indicated my rear brakes were dirty; some rust and needed adjusting and cleaning for $60. Well the sound has not gone, my concern is driving in very condjusted areas like Toronto etc my brakes will fail or lockup. Is this being over concerned, what is the best option to get this diagnosed correctly, going to a Honda dealership. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-21-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Noise when applying brake at low speeds

I would take it to another shop and have them do a front end evaluation. Doesn't have to be a dealer but a reputable shop.

So if your driving in the highway and slow down it does not make a clunk sound? Does the clunk slow down as the car slows? Was any work done recently? Do bumps make the sound appear?
Old 07-21-2013
Registered!!

06Honda is an unknown quantity at this point

The only time it clunks is when ghe brake is applied slowly. When I come off the highway say on an off ramp no cluck is heard. Bumps have no effect.
Old 07-21-2013
No amateur/no professional

JJ291 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a few ideas. Not sure they solved anything though. I like the idea of having it on stands, removing the tire, and having someone roll it slowly and hitting the brake while you listen and look. You might try it with the tire on under the car (not running) and turn the tire and call out for someone to hit the brake. Put a stethoscope on it also.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2258532