Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2002 civic code p1773 problem? [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dom_p88 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 civic code p1773 problem? [solved]

So i replaced the tranny due to it not goin in reverse or drive. now the D light is blinking code 1773 A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid valve B Circuit. i replaced it and cleared codes and it still blinks the same code. i cleared it several times and still nothing car moves slowly with me pushing some gas.
i traced the wires from ecu to solenoid and nothing is broken.
Any suggestions
Old 04-22-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 civic code p1773 problem?

Info says: That code can only be caused by an electrical problem. It cannot be caused by a mechanical problem.

The clutch pressure control solenoid valve B is used to control TCC lock-up.
PCM measures the current (amps) needed to control the solenoid. If current is greater or less than expected for longer than one second, the circuit is judged to be open or short circuit, and a code is set.

1)Measure resistance of the solenoid. Should be 3-10 ohms.
2)Reconnect the solenoid. Unplug the connectors from the PCM. Measure resistance between B16 and C8. Should be 3-10 ohms.
3)Measure each side of the circuit for continuity to ground. (Because a Short to chassis ground may set the same code.)

Gotta be something fairly simple......Wires not smashed in the bellhousing?

Are you checking at the right connector? (Black plastic connector, wire colors brown/white, and black/red)

Connector plugged all the way in?

Both terminals still seated inside the connector, not pushed out?

Did you replace/swap the correct part?
This pic looks like my info for CPC solenoids:

A is on the bottom, B is on top.

(If you swapped the other set, those were shift solenoids. Won't help.)

HTH
Old 04-22-2013
Registered!!

ok so when i 2)Reconnect the solenoid. Unplug the connectors from the PCM. Measure resistance between B16 and C8. Should be 3-10 ohms. does the key have to be on? also when i check it at the solinoid am i checking the actual plug wire or the solinoid itself? and does the key need to be on?
thanks
Old 04-23-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dom_p88
ok so when i
Um, on that solenoid connection: check that the terminals aren't pushed out of the connector first. That's easy. If one is (or both), then fix that and see if the problem is gone.

2)Reconnect the solenoid. Unplug the connectors from the PCM. Measure resistance between B16 and C8. Should be 3-10 ohms. does the key have to be on?
You never check resistance of any circuit while that circuit is powered.
Period.
You can damage the meter.
Key off.
You are disconnecting the PCM.
Key off.
Once the PCM is completely disconnected, you can turn the key on..... when told to

also when i check it at the solinoid am i checking the actual plug wire or the solinoid itself? and does the key need to be on?
thanks
The GOAL is to check resistance of the solenoid.
Check directly at the solenoid first.
If good, then go to the next step. (Step#2)
Goal is to verify wiring integrity between that solenoid and the PCM.

When you check resistance from the PCM connectors, you are still measuring the same solenoid, only now with a bunch of wire between you and the solenoid. Like an extension cord.
You are supposed to have the exact same resistance reading you got in the first step at the solenoid.
If no, then you check resistance of each individual wire to figure out which has a problem.

----------------------------------------------------

Short to power and short to ground checks:

Ok, while the PCM is still completely disconnected, you turn the KEY ON and measure those same two wires-- looking for any voltage or ground:

Connect meter black lead to a battery ground and then probe red lead at each wire checking for voltage.
Zeros?

Turn the key OFF.
Switch the meter back to ohms.
Don't change anything else.
Check each wire again.
Both read open or infinite resistance?

Getting tired, not sure I'm thinking right. Got a service manual of your own?
Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

alright so i figured out why i was geting code p1773 and it was really dumb, but thats what happens when u ask a buddy to help whos head is in his a** , so i got code P1773 to clear, but now im gettin code P1768 my scanner says its torque converter clutch solenoid valve B circuit. but I was told its solenoid A? Is this true if so i prety much did the same process as code p1773 with solenoid connector plugged in Measuring the resistance between PCM connector terminals B7-(red/blk) and C1-(wht/blk) and im geting 5 ohm or so which is good.. any suggestions?

PCM connector terminal A23 and body ground, and between terminal A24 and body ground have continuity, so i know thats good
Old 04-23-2013

alright so i figured out why i was geting code p1773 and it was really dumb, but thats what happens when u ask a buddy to help whos head is in his a** , so i got code P1773 to clear,
So what was it?

but now im gettin code P1768 my scanner says its torque converter clutch solenoid valve B circuit. but I was told its solenoid A?
Um, my info said P1773 was CPC solenoid B, which controls the TCC.
Refer back to my first reply.

P1768 is Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A Circuit (CPC valve A, the bottom solenoid of that exact same set I mentioned above.)

From my info:
valve A is used for shift control and lock-up control.
valve B is used for lock-up control.

Anyway...This CPC-A solenoid uses wires B7 and C1 at the PCM. Exact same tests as the other one, only different wires.

PCM connector terminal A23 and body ground, and between terminal A24 and body ground have continuity, so i know thats good
I did not look to see what these wires are. What are they for?
Old 04-23-2013

OH I looked, A23 and A24 are PCM grounds.

I like to check the grounds with a headlight, make sure they can handle a few amps of load. An plain ohm meter cannot do that by itself.

A 55 watt sealed beam is only about 4.5 amps load.

Also, when you are checking things....I always try to backprobe.....Make sure you are not stuffing anything into the small female terminals. If you spread them out so they can't grip the male pins in the opposite connection, they will not make good contact. Causes serious "hair pulling" problems.
Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

problem for p1773 was to the right of the solenoids is another sensor that has the same clip connector as solenoid b, he had them reversed :S smh lol..
ya tomorrow all have to just check the connector pins and see what happens.. if everything checks out good which im prety sure it will since i have resitance at the pcm from the sensor, unless when i did that test i widened up the ecu female pins. Could the pcm be gone? i dont understand y i wasnt getting this code from before
Old 04-23-2013

Probably not the PCM, but I can't say that for sure. Don't overlook simple stuff, like yet another thing connected wrong.

The wiring connectors should have almost fell into the correct places if it was all put together right in the first place.

(Some people can go to a LOT of trouble to do things wrong, when doing it right would have been so much easier if they would have just used their head. Right?)

All it takes is a time of one second of wrong current draw (commanded vs actual) to set the code.
I might try putting an ammeter on the circuit to watch the amp draw of the solenoid while it is operating.

I have to be pretty darn positive on something as expensive as a PCM. I'd hate to pull the trigger on that and be wrong.
Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

so where would i put the amp meter on the B7-(red/blk) and C1-(wht/blk) from the ecu? and how much amps should i have? also you said "while it is operating" does this mean car running?
i appreciate your help thanks alot
Old 04-23-2013

That's something I might do as a last resort, if I found no other possible cause, and I might use a clamp on (inductive) ammeter at first. I'd want to see if maybe a winding intermittently shorts or opens, causing an excessive change in the amp load.

Or I'd use a wired ammeter, on the hoist, wheels in the air, wired in at the connection for the solenoid using jumper wires. Car running and wheels spinning, someone inside holding a steady road speed on the speedometer, TCC applied, solenoid working by the computer.

I also have the scanner and a bunch of other neat tools that most DIYers don't.
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

alright so the car is fixed. i found out the issue problem was in the ecu itself. the C1-(wht/blk) ground wire circuit in the board. i opened up the ecu and the actual pins that come into the ecu C1-(wht/blk) was the issue i put a ground directly to the battery to that lead in the ecu and problem solved. so i picked up a pcm today for 100bucks got it flashed for the key immobilizer and everything works great..
Old 04-24-2013

Originally Posted by dom_p88
alright so the car is fixed. i found out the issue problem was in the ecu itself. the C1-(wht/blk) ground wire circuit in the board. i opened up the ecu and the actual pins that come into the ecu C1-(wht/blk) was the issue i put a ground directly to the battery to that lead in the ecu and problem solved. so i picked up a pcm today for 100bucks got it flashed for the key immobilizer and everything works great..
Makes me wonder if this is what took out the PCM:
problem for p1773 was to the right of the solenoids is another sensor that has the same clip connector as solenoid b, he had them reversed :S smh lol..

Thanx for the follow up.
Old 04-24-2013
Registered!!

no because it wasnt that clip that was pluged in wrong. ive read alot of issues with this year of civic so for who ever had this issue dont assume its the trany right away
thanks ezone
Old 12-18-2019
Registered!!

Emily Buswell is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue. P1773. And I'm stuck. Measure the continuity at this Illinois and of the plug a has continuity B does not I don't know how to check the ECM PCU unit and grounds