Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! Low idling/ fluctuating idle/ vibration 98 honda civic hx

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013
Preshington11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preshington11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help! Low idling/ fluctuating idle/ vibration 98 honda civic hx

Alright so I have a 98 honda civic hx 162000 miles on it. There is times when I turn it on and it idles okay but then I hit the road I start to notice when accelerating from 30mph to 50mph it seems like the engine isn't getting enough gas. It feels as if I am letting go of the gas and giving it gas again. Sort of a forward jerking feeling but not too bad, as it jerks forward it pulls the car to the left . I will include i have pretty bad alignment issue i am getting fixed. Then when I come to a stop the idle drops to 600-200 rpms. Then I feel the vibrating intensify, it runs up the steering wheel and literally makes the whole car shake. It's too this point super annoying. Anyways once I accelerate from being still the car jerks toward hitting 600rpms to almost 2000..as if the car was getting a huge spray of gas at once. Also sometimes when at a stop if I let go of the brake the idle idles low but fluctuates from 200rpm to 1000rpm and it feels like it might die. I have the car in the shop today..hoping to get some advice. The machincs in my small town don't work on Hondas much so maybe your replys can be of good guidance to where to look.
Old 04-09-2013
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go-part is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help! Low idling/ fluctuating idle/ vibration 98 honda civic hx

Make sure wherever you went to has

-Checked/replaced the Throttle position sensor, IAC and fuel filter,

-Attempted to adjust the idle using the idle adjusting screw

-Have checked for vacuum leaks.
Old 04-10-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: Help! Low idling/ fluctuating idle/ vibration 98 honda civic hx

Since its in the shop let us know how it goes, they should be able to figure it out, while they dont work on hondas a lot most engines operate under the same concepts.