Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Horrible, LOUD buzzing from tires or wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutrino is an unknown quantity at this point
Horrible, LOUD buzzing from tires or wheel bearing?

I have a 2001 Civic LX which I just had shod with new Michelin Defender tires all around. Now it sounds like I have off-road knobbies instead. WTF? It increases in pitch with more speed; becomes loud at about 25 MPH, and terribly loud at 60.

I've been told that this could be failing wheel bearings. I also learned that the right front bearing is not too healthy and the CV boot has a tear in it.

The sound, though, sounds like it's coming from both sides (I can't tell if it's also from behind).

BTW, Costco replaced the first set, but that made no difference; set 2 is just as loud.

What do y'all think? The previous tires were not nearly as loud, and I doubt that Costco replaced the bearings with bad ones when they fit the new rubber. Could bad or failing bearings actually make such a gawd-awful noise? Is it likely to be bad tires or a bad bearing? These are supposed to be quiet tires, for pete's sake.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and/or input.
Old 04-04-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Horrible, LOUD buzzing from tires or wheel bearing?

Probably the bearings... They can get rather loud when failing.
Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

Wow. I don't understand how that works, bearings sounding like knobbies, but okay.

If it has been making this sound for near-ish 3000 miles, will I likely need to get the hub and/or axle replaced as well?
Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

killaclownne1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it quiet when turning a corner? That gives you an idea which bearing is going. Is the sound coming from the front?
Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

Yes, definitely from the front.

Corners don't seem to matter, but I'll keep a closer ear on that.
Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

killaclownne1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My front driver bearing is gone. So going slow it isnt as loud but the faster you go the louder it is. when i go around a bend that goes left its quiet if i go the other direction it doesnt change.
Old 04-04-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The bearing has no indication of what the hub + axle look like. Most likely you will need just the bearing replaced. If you do replace it get an OEM, National, or Timken bearing. Anything else won't last long.
Old 04-05-2013
Registered!!

I would love to do this myself, but currently lack any kind of garage space and a press. sigh

One mechanic told me that a failing bearing can wreck the hub if left too long (especially if, as in my case, there is a small tear in the CV boot). A couple have told me that a failing bearing means the axle must be replaced as well. What gives? Are these particular shops just out for more work/money? (It seems to me that a generic rule of 'we replace the axle every time we replace a bearing' is kinda lame.)

Thanks for the heads-up on bearing manufacturers - I'll keep that in mind.
Old 04-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

if its a humming or buzzing noise that is consistent with the speed of the vehicle it sounds like a bearing, i had one go on mine, get it looked after ASAP, a bad wheel bearing can be very dangerous if it lets go
Old 04-05-2013
Whachya lookin at?

If you remove the knuckle yourself you can usually find a shop willing to press it for 20 bucks. It quickly turns 200 dollars labor into 20 dollars. I did mine in my driveway.