Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator/Battery issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airognol is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator/Battery issues.

I got my 2002 Honda Civic EX about two years ago, and I've always had a battery and alternator issue. I've replaced the Alternator about three times, and the battery twice. I'm thinking this is an electrical issue, I also replaced the ELD and the check engine light I was having went off, but the battery light still was on. The car drives fine, but when i have the headlights on and i try to roll down the windows I see the lights dim. I'm getting tired of having this issue as neither a new alternator/battery or eld has fixed the issue. I found this place on Google, and hope you guys could give me an answer.
Old 03-25-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternator/Battery issues.

when i have the headlights on and i try to roll down the windows I see the lights dim.
This is probably normal.
Windows draw a lot of power, but only briefly.
If the car isn't killing the battery, it is fine. Keep driving it.

Or is this the current problem?
but the battery light still was on.
The way you worded the post, I can't tell.
Old 03-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

test the battery voltage with the car running at idle....what is it?
Old 03-25-2013
Registered!!

The fact that I've replaced the alternator many times, and still have a battery light on is the issue.
Old 03-25-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Check wiring and fuses.
Old 03-25-2013
Registered!!

What should I be looking for more specifically? I'm not very good with cars.
Old 03-25-2013

Check Fuses #4 and 10 in the dash fuse box.

Voltmeter check for B+ at the blk/yel wire in the 4 wire plug at the alternator (KEY ON).

Visual checks of all the wiring in that plug and follow the wire harness as far as you can looking for physical damage.

Ohm meter check the remaining 3 small alt wires between the alt and the PCM (need wiring diagrams for that)

Service manual may have other checks to do at the 4 wire alt plug. Got a good service manual?

Everything else (battery warning light) is controlled by the PCM and the multiplex systems.