Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 honda civic ex. Possiable Alternator "Whining" when accelerating.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Nate is an unknown quantity at this point
02 honda civic ex. Possiable Alternator "Whining" when accelerating.

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had run into this before and had some advice for me! I work fairly early in the morning and pretty late so in general im driving around in the dark. that being said ive noticed that when i have the headlights on, defrost, and the radio along with my phone being charged that there is a significant whining sound. what leads me to believe that it is the alternator is that when i turn off the heat off and and pretty much everything else off tht the whining goes away completly (also the lights on the dash dim noticiably with the more things i have on, radio, heat ect.). also ive noticed that the whining matches the Rpm of the vehicle. mind you its not a extreamly loud or alarming sound but rather a noticiable whine. Anyway the car starts great everytime and i have no idea when the battery has been replaced last.

thanks everyone!

before i forget i have a 2002 honda civic ex manual with 150100 miles.
-timing belt and water pump replaced at 148000 miles
-valves adjusted at 149000 miles
-spark plugs replaced at 149000 miles.
Old 01-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 02 honda civic ex. Possiable Alternator "Whining" when accelerating.

could be alternator or power steering pump

remove the alternator and power steering belts.....run the engine, does the noise go away? use this method as process of elimination, run it with one belt on and the other off for example
Old 01-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

An alternator that is loaded heavily does often emit an audible whine.
That does not mean anything is wrong... but....
A bad alternator can make a very similar whine when loaded too. Only difference is the maximum output is significantly lower.

You may as well have it inspected to be sure it is ok.
Old 01-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's good to know! I was sure I had another expense in the future but I will take your advice and get it check out just to be sure. Thanks!