Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Overheating ? New radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013
Civ ILL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drmcstford is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Overheating ? New radiator?

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
If you cant get OEM..(They are sometimes pricey) just try to at least get a quality name brand..

Chinese ones are hit or miss..
Hey O4, what brand All aluminum do you recommend?? I was gonna get the Spectra Premium on Rock auto parts its manufactured in canada ! heard there pretty good no straight install no mod required. Its 5 speed only way to enjoy driving

EDIT : http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=350469019910 something like this??
Old 02-04-2013
Civ ILL

Well Ezone it looks like you were right LOL My car is driving me nuts! It was working perfect after i switched the rad cap, thermostat, and radiator. Now the beast has had the last laugh the other day it was raining and i couldn't see a damn thing turned on the defrost all the way up (which is turning on my ac is that normal?) and bam starts to overheat! I park and let it chill and get to work slowly and when i pull up reservoir thank is full and bubbling and that's when i knew bam HG is is Awesome bi filled it with coolant i had no other choice in getting home and i had no overheating at all WTF is this engine doing to me its driving me crazy ! Coolant is still being lost somewhere because every few days i check and sure enough it need to be topped off. My uncle who's a mechanic is coming sunday to start tearing the motor apart any suggestions on what to look for ? any other things i should switch now? I don't want any more trouble after this HG change !! Sorry for the long post!
Old 02-04-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Overheat doesn't normally happen until there is a bunch of antifreeze pushed out of the radiator. (Varies with liquid levels, temperatures and loads though.)

The head gasket leakage lets combustion pressure push the coolant out (displaces) slowly, coolant goes into the reservoir until the radiator is empty enough to let the air (combustion leakage) go directly out through the cap and reservoir.

Refill the radiator and it is good for a while, until it gets low again. Then it runs hot again.

Coolant is still being lost somewhere
Most of these barf it out of the reservoir while you drive as the radiator gets lower and lower. You don't notice anything unless you stop and look directly at it.

Radiator now has a huge air pocket and can't pull any antifreeze out of the reservoir as it cools down.
Old 02-04-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

For your reading pleasure, 4 pages long and almost 100 posts on it:

Clicky: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ppened-me.html
Old 02-04-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
^^^^Yeah that. 3K and four months later with no issues thankfully.
Old 02-06-2013
Civ ILL

Thanks Ezone cant wait for this headache to be over -___-
Old 02-18-2013
Civ ILL

Update: 750 Dollars later shes fixed -___- ! haha i was going nuts without my car! Changed the HG with OEM Kit , changed waterpump, timing belt, tensioner, spring, and front motor mount which was cracked shes running cold and SMOOTH I just need to change that MTF sometime next week and shell be like new Thanks everyone for the input and Ezone for the advice ! The true test comes this weekend when i take it on a 5 hour drive to northern cali to visit the future in laws :/ ! haha