Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic smells like gas when idling

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNIPanther2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic smells like gas when idling

Hi there. I am new here. I just got my 2001 Honda Civic from my dad as my college commuter car last month. He had everything checked before he gave it to me like a good father. I've driven it 4 hours to college and back and forth to college for about a month now without incident. However, I've run into a recent issue.

We just got a big winter storm here in Iowa (10 inches of snow) and I took the car out today for the first time in a couple days after being snowed in. When idling, the cabin smells pretty heavily like gas and the exhaust is making a chugging noise. There are no puddles after idling underneath the car and my boyfriend who is way more car savvy than me says its probably due to the cold but doesn't really know. My dad said he never noticed it before but didn't really drive it because it was what my stepmom drove before they got the van.

Anyone have any idea? I have to make the 4 hour trek back home for the holidays soon and don't want to in a car that might be dangerous to drive. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2001 Civic smells like gas when idling

You might have rubbed a hole in piece #3 or piece #24 in the below drawing. If you're set for fresh air, it would suck the vapor inside the car. I would start with that. They're the only two pieces that are rubber hoses in the engine bay that contain fuel AFAIK.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L+PIPE+%281%29
Old 12-22-2012
Registered!!

Well, we drove it today and it doesn't smell like gas anymore but it was shaking like crazy on idle when in drive. It didn't do it when it was in park or neutral. My boyfriend looked under the hood and messed with a spark plug wire and it stopped. He thinks it was just loose, but it may need replaced eventually. Whew. Glad it wasn't something more major.
Old 12-22-2012
Registered!!

Drove it to work and half way there it started up again this time worse and even during park. Idles very low and chugs. Looks like I might need new spark plug wires. Also having issues with the hood latching closed now.