Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Mysterious Liquid on Driver Side floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrkylewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Mysterious Liquid on Driver Side floorboard

I have a mysterious liquid that is growing on my driverside floorboard. It started small, near the accelerator pedal, but is growing towards the back of the car. I've scoured the internet for ideas, universally, everyone thinks it's the heater core, but no other symptom of that diagnosis fits. I haven't had to top off my radiator fluid and the fluid on my floorboard is clear to darkish. I know for sure it is not motor oil.

Some history, I have been having to top off my power steering fluid for the past couple of months. Lucas Power steering was recommended to me for leaks, so I bought some the next time it needed a topping off. It seems that when Lucas was brought into the picture, the leak started getting worse. But as it continually gets worse, the fluid in the power steering reservoir has stayed had a consistently high level, so it may have nothing to do with the power steering fluid at all. I'm at a loss and just can't think of anything else.
Old 01-09-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Mysterious Liquid on Driver Side floorboard

You should only ever use Honda power steering fluid, start by correcting that.
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Stick your finger in it then rub your fingers together. If it's not slick it's water and if it's slick it's something else. Although, I wouldn't think any other fluids would leak inside the passenger compartment. It could be the heater core but, almost to a man it leaks on the passenger floorboard. Do you by chance have an EX model with a moonroof?
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

mrkylewood is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not water, it's got a slick greasy feel to it. It's a 02 Civic LX 4 Door, no sunroof.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Describing a slick greasy liquid that's been absorbed into carpet is backwards thinking. You are feeling the final destination of the liquid. You do not know where the liquid has been and what it's been in contact with on it's journey to the carpet.
Does it rain where you live? Where are you located?
There is a weather plug behind each fenderliner in front of the firewall that will leak over time. The easy fix for that leak is to remove the plug, clean the plug, and the hole, coat the plug with RTV and reinstall.
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Also inspect the firewall and pedals to see if it's dripping from one of those.
Old 01-10-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

I know when i had an issue with my clutch and i think the master cylinder i was leaking fluid on my drivers side floor(was a toyota truck tho)...If you have an auto then this could not be it..
Old 01-12-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe your a/c drain backed up. It might be slick and slimey water.