Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hit a curb at 15mph......

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiz0177 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hit a curb at 15mph......

Yep, it's snowing out and I didn't put on studded tires. I know I should have...

Anyways, I drove off the highway and onto the turn off, and I was coming up to a curb. I wanted to turn right but my car decided even with lots of room, it had to slide all the way and ram into the curb.

I tried my best to brake and control the car, heck, I got it to turn slightly but it went too fast.

Loud ka ching ensues. From my inspection, looks like my car is all well, except the left tire. The hubcap is chipped and I think the rim is somewhat bent inwards.

As I drive after that, my steering wheel is rumbling left and right, especially at speeds past 30mph.

My alignment must be off. I think that can be an easy fix. Ugh, what else can I expect to see when I take the car in to put on studded tires? I hope if there's any repairs that needs to be done, it's cheap....
Old 10-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Hit a curb at 15mph......

Studded tires are completely unnecessary unless you're driving on pure ice, I much prefer regular winter tires, no matter how bad the snow conditions are I've had no issues with good studless winters. Plus, I can't stand the sound of studless tires on dry roads, but that's just me.

Also, you should brush up on your driving theory, the worst thing you could have done in the situation was brake and that's why you hit the wall. You lose traction and the ability to move the car in another direction well when you touch the brakes, what you should have done was gear down and apply the throttle smoothly and steadily to pull the car in another direction without losing traction.

The shaking is likely as a result of a bent rim, but that's not a major issue, just get the a new steel rim.
Old 10-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

15mph is fast enough to also damage suspension components. i would have it checked out.
Old 10-20-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Get it checked. We just had another thread on here where a member bottomed his car out and rolled it shortly after because he thinks something was compromised!!! Be safe!
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Yeah I would at jack up the corner you hit with and make sure there is no movement in the wheel. If it wiggles around you broke something. Take a good look at the ball joint, tie rod, lower control arm.

I'd still take it to a mechanic unless you are mechanically savvy and can diagnose broken ball joints/tie rods/LCA.

Is the steering wheel still straight? Car still track straight?

I lost a friend about 10 years ago due to a suspension failure, he was cruising along the freeway and something broke and he went off the road at high speed and rolled. Suspension components are NOT something you want to fail.
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiz0177 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anibis
Yeah I would at jack up the corner you hit with and make sure there is no movement in the wheel. If it wiggles around you broke something. Take a good look at the ball joint, tie rod, lower control arm.

I'd still take it to a mechanic unless you are mechanically savvy and can diagnose broken ball joints/tie rods/LCA.

Is the steering wheel still straight? Car still track straight?

I lost a friend about 10 years ago due to a suspension failure, he was cruising along the freeway and something broke and he went off the road at high speed and rolled. Suspension components are NOT something you want to fail.

The steering wheel is still straight, I didn't wanna test my luck and see how it do at 55mph. I drove 30mph to a shop. And to the other guy, studded tires are kind of necessary in Alaska. Pure ice roads everywhere, ehh.

I'm not very savvy at inspecting a car, especially wheels. I hope all I need is a new rim replacement. The shop should let me know if anything is wrong since they're putting new studded tires on there, or I'll ask them to take a look if they didn't. Thanks though for the help!
Old 10-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Yeah if you're on ice a lot then studded tires are the only way to go.

I'm sure the shop will take a look at everything since they know you hit a curb hard enough to bend the rim.

Hopefully everything checks out and all you need is a rim.