Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

air/fuel sensor. which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BeaterCivicMan is an unknown quantity at this point
air/fuel sensor. which one?

hey guys i just found out that i have a 2002 honda civic hx. i bought the car used and wrecked, for a winter beater and always thought it was a dx.

anyway, my CEL came on and the codes were p0134, p0171, p1164..all upstream sensor codes. however not knowing that i have an hx, i ordered a standard o2 sensor when in fact i need a air/fuel sensor instead.

so majestichonda.com has my a/f sensor (part #: 36531-PLE-305) for $222.51

however my question is.. majestichonda.com also has an a/f sensor for a (2004-2005 civic dx, part #: 36531-PLE-306) for $156.52

so would the a/f sensor from a 2004-2005 civic dx work on my 2002 hx?

thanks for any help!
Old 10-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: air/fuel sensor. which one?

no. the hx uses different sensors because the engine can run in lean burn and create different types of emissions. im not sure but you may have 3 sensors like the hybrid so be sure its the right one you are replacing. i know for sure the hx has two cat converters, and im assuming one sensor for each, plus one upstream before the cats.
Old 10-19-2011
Registered!!

okay i didnt mention this before but my car had a very choppy/studdering acceleration too. i replaced the a/f sensor and it went away, so obviously it was caused by that sensor. however, after resetting the ecu with this new a/f sensor installed and driving like 50-60 miles..the CEL came back on with a p1420 code. now do i have a bad cat?
Old 10-19-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah that code is for a failing cat. not sure which of the two is for NOx emissions tho.. i dont think both cats would fail at the same time so prolly only one is bad.
Old 10-21-2011
Registered!!

hm alright..so will the hx work well with an aftermarket exhaust or do i have to use an OEM cat/exhaust.

i called honda today and the service guy said that its normally the 2nd cat (under the car) that goes bad more often..so i was gonna start with that one but i also read that the HX has very sensitive emissions with that wideband sensor so it doesnt respond well to aftermarket exhausts..
Old 10-21-2011
Premium Member

you can change the exhaust so long as it keeps the oem cat converters. i think that means you can only replace the muffler part. i havent seen any aftermarket catback exhausts (piping and muffler) for the hx. its just for louder sound anyway, you wont get any better performance.
Old 10-25-2011
Registered!!

yeah im definitely not looking for any performance gains or any louder sound for that matter haha its just a winter beater.

im really just looking for the cheapest way to replace the bad cat.. but like i said i heard that the HX doesnt respond well to aftermarket cats like Dorman or Walker (ebay manifold/cats).

have you heard anything like that for the hx?
Old 10-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Hondas, especially the "economy" models, are very finicky when it comes to the cat and sensors. I would go with OEM. First cat is in the exhaust manifold, second cat is in the normal position under the car. To check either cat LIGHTLY tap the cat and if you hear stuff rattling around inside then replace that cat. Let's hope it the second cat 'cause that's the cheaper one.

Check here for pretty much the cheapest price on OEM parts: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/index.php?p=home

*Be sure to get bolts and springs (being almost 10 years old I'm almost certain you'll have to cut them off) and gaskets for the exhaust pipes.