Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic ex coupe VTEC problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jcd3t is on a distinguished road
2001 Civic ex coupe VTEC problems

since i bought my civic in december the vtec hasnt been engaging at any rpm. Just replaced the solenoid with a brand new one today and the VTEC STILL wont engage. wondering what else i need to do or what the problem could be. THANK YOU!
Old 03-15-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Civic ex coupe VTEC problems

is it throwing a CEL, or you don't think it's engaging because you don't feel it?
Old 03-15-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

lololololololol

Are you comparing to an acura integra VTEC? or like a K series VTEC?
Please remember that you have a D-series VTEC-e(conomical)

It kicks in quietly around 2750rpm depending on throttle

If you're looking for VTEC screaming at you at 5500 RPM,
You've bought the wrong car

I hope you aren't one of those guys who just bought the car without any knowledge and bought it because someone said it has VTEC in it
Old 03-15-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i assume the engine light is turned on for vtec malfunction? p1258? if it is, check the oil level. if the light is off, vtec is working fine.
Old 03-15-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

^That's exactly why I was asking.. Also, if VTEC was malfunctioning, it'd throw the car into limp mode, right? When my car was throwing a P1259 code (another VTEC system malfunction code, thanks to the shop that tuned my turbo hooking up the VTEC wire), my car was in limp mode until I disconnected it.
Old 03-15-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost 100% sure that this guy is mistaken for the wrong VTEC
Old 03-15-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

time for a new car then. may i suggest integra gsr?
Old 03-15-2011
Administrator
Administrator

For me? Nah, my VTEC problem was years back.
Old 03-15-2011
Premium Member

no for the op lol
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

wow excuse me for not being a ****ing genius with cars. . .if i knew what i was talking about do you think i would be on here asking advice from your bitch ***? no. . . i bet your a lonely son of a bitch that jerks off at the thought of your k series vtec kickin in. . . thanks for the help fagget
Old 03-16-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Wait a minute, who the hell are you talking to? I was genuinely asking.
Old 03-16-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Hey, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but that's what our engine is

I too have a D17A2
It's not a crazy VTEC that kicks in all of a sudden at 5500RPM

Typically, if your VTEC isnt running properly, it should throw a code and make your engine run like crap
Assuming by your post, you are able to drive it, but do not feel the VTEC kicking in, hence my description that it kicks in about 2750 RPM, and not 5500

You will not feel the kick in at all, especially with a stock intake, but if you can drive, and theres no codes, theres nothing wrong with the VTEC
Old 03-18-2011
Registered!!

i just dont appreciate being talked down to like im an idiot. i dont know much about cars in general and i thought thats what these forums were for is ppl that need help. i have a aem v2 intake on my civic and my friend was the one telling me he didnt believe my vtec was working because even with the intake he couldnt hear it. the car runs fine and there are no cel on
Old 03-18-2011
Administrator
Administrator

That's why I was just asking. No need to lash out at god damn everybody. Especially since everyone that responded to your thread is a moderator.

Your VTEC is working just fine.
Old 03-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you

Despite my immature post,
It is filled with a full description as what you have

You have a VTEC-e(conomical)

I'm not saying your friend doesn't know squat either, in fact, he is misinformed.
There are different types of VTEC, and the ones in our D17A2 is for economical purposes, not built for speed

Typically the VTEC will kick in about 2750 RPM, and you will hear it with a CAI, but it would sound like any other car revving
The VTEC in another engine, like the K-series will kick in about 5500 RPM and start screaming bloody mary in your ears.

Heres a little video I had when I installed a VTEC light into my car to monitor the VTEC
In normal driving conditions, you almost barely hear it, and as you can see, I'm not driving fast either
Btw, only the first 30 seconds or so shows the light, rest of it just shows how fast I was driving while activating VTEC
[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7igW3Y19sz0[/Youtube]

Your VTEC is in working order, don't worry about it

Last edited by Kennykid2002; 03-18-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2011
Premium Member

most newer hondas (2000+) do not have vtec that you can hear. the whole point is to have two different cam profiles and a smooth transition between them. you shouldnt even be feeling it.
Old 03-18-2011
Registered!!

thanks for the help guys. sorry for the misunderstanding in the begining
Old 03-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
There are different types of VTEC, and the ones in our D17A2 is for economical purposes, not built for speed
Are all D17A2's VTEC-E? I thought if it was VTEC-E it said it on the cover.

BTW: My suspension is shot AGAIN and I can definitely tell when it kicks in.