Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

o2 sensor error question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woolsac is an unknown quantity at this point
o2 sensor error question

Good day.

I have been doing some investigation on this site on some error codes I am getting. The 2 errors i am seeing are:

P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I just dont know what sensor is bad. I did a search on Majestic and there are 2 sensors:

36531-PLR-003 SENSOR, LAF
36532-PLR-A11 SENSOR, RR. OXYGEN

I just dont know what is the right one.... i believe the only one with a heater circuit in it is the 36532-PLR-A11 SENSOR, RR. OXYGEN... is this correct?

I just wanted to make sure before i order... these sensors are $220 a pop!

I drive an '04 Civic EX AT

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!
Mark
Old 11-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: o2 sensor error question

Your only dealing with the primary sensor (sensor 1). The primary O2 sensor is on the downpipe for the cat right below the headers. Turn the ignition off. Then pull the connector and check for resistance at terminals 3 and 4. The one on the right with the asterisk is for the D17A2 engine.
Name:  O2sensortest.jpg
Views: 3630
Size:  80.3 KB

Is there 10-40 ohms?

NO- Replace the sensor

** If your gonna replace the sensor it's #18: http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno=

Last edited by lazlong; 11-08-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: link
Old 11-10-2010
Registered!!

thank you for getting back to me lazlong.....

I am not getting any readings of 10-40 ohms.. more of like .2 ohms, which i think is an offset from my voltmeter.

So from that, i am assuming, as per your recommendation, that i need to replace my sensor...

After i replace it, do i need to anything special to remove the error code? do i just need to unplug the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect?

also, i was reading somewhere about idle re-learning.. does this apply to me? if so, what is that all about?

thanks!
Mark
Old 11-10-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

1. Be sure to get an O2 sensor socket. They're about $6-10.

2. After replacing sensor (or disconnecting any sensor, for that matter) reset the ECM/PCM: With the idle off remove the #6 (ECM/PCM) fuse from the under-hood fuse/relay box for ten seconds.

3. Idle re-learn: With no loads (windows, stereo, etc) start the car and hold at 3,000 rpm until it reaches operating temp. let idle for 5-10 minutes.

When you do the idle re-learn your mpg's will go down and then improve as the comp re-learns your driving habits. It usually takes about 100 miles or so.
Old 11-10-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
With the idle off
I assume this means the car is off completely?

if thats the case, and to repeat....
with car off, i replace the sensor, and unplug fuse #6 for 10 sec. replace after 10 seconds.

turn on car with no load, hold at 3000 for time it takes to reach op temp... then let idle on own for 5-10min... then drive like everything is normal again....

correct?

thanks for your help again.. just ordered sensor... will let you know how everything turns out....(hopefully with no bad news)
Old 11-11-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by woolsac
...with car off, i replace the sensor, and unplug fuse #6 for 10 sec. replace after 10 seconds.

turn on car with no load, hold at 3000 for time it takes to reach op temp... then let idle on own for 5-10min... then drive like everything is normal again....

correct?
Yes.
Old 11-24-2010
Registered!!

just a follow up... installation was no hassle, check engine light is off, car is running great. thank you again for your help with this!
Old 11-24-2010
Registered!!

Glad to hear it. Pay it forward.
Old 12-02-2012
Registered!!

redhondacivicex is an unknown quantity at this point

Great and accurate advice, lazlong. Your tip on using ohm meter to check the sensor was the best and easiest to perform on the internet.

I would add that the check engine light can be reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for several minutes. Used this method because the light didn't reset after unplugging fuse 6 on my 04 Civic.

I saved a bunch by buying a Denso sensor, which is OEM, from an online merchent for $120, including shipping. What bugs me is that the same manufactured sensor costs $80 or more at most online or local stores.