Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Information needed for timing belt replacement quote

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BiggieCivvie is an unknown quantity at this point
Information needed for timing belt replacement quote

I emailed three of the best-reputed repair shops in the area asking for a quote for replacing my timing belt. I included this information:

"I would like an estimate for changing the timing belt on my 2002 Honda Civic EX 4 cyl 1.7 l 5-speed, please. If you need any other information to narrow down your quote please let me know."

One gave me a written, itemized quote. Another ignored me. The third said "you're looking at about $XXX.XX". Since the written, itemized and the "you're looking at" quote were several hundred dollars apart, I replied to Mr. You're Looking At, asking if he could itemize his quote.

He replied:

"This repair should include the timing belt, water pump with all gaskets and seals. We would need to know the VIN number to get more specific. This is a very tough repair to quote without seeing the vehicle."

Now, this was rather astounding to me, since I've never heard of a repair shop needing to "see the vehicle" to quote a regular maintenance item. Now, I realize that some people feel like some tasks should be completed during a timing belt change, and others don't need to be, but that was why I was wanting the itemization - they still don't need to "see" the vehicle, they just need to list what they normally include in a timing belt change.

It's not that I'm loathe to send my VIN, it's just that now I'm smelling something fishy. Either the first place that gave me the firm quote was just pulling the absolute highest number out of their rear ends (which is in fact fine with me so there are absolutely NO surprises), or the first "you're looking at" quote was a complete fabrication. Either way, I need to know that I'm comparing apples to apples.

Being a woman I'm in a difficult position with hired mechanics. I used to do my own minor maintenance and repairs - tune ups, oil changes, valve-cover gasket replacements, alternator replacements, etc. but cars have gotten so sophisticated and I've gotten old and my eyesight not so good anymore so I have to trust these mechanics more than ever before and my limited knowledge has so far allowed me to see a crook a mile away, but it's harder now for me to discern on these newer engines and the more detailed repair/maintenance.

So what I need to know from the denizens of this fine forum is,
what is the precise information a mechanic would need to be able to firm up a quote for a timing best change on the car I described in my emails to the repair shops?

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 11-11-2010
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough
Re: Information needed for timing belt replacement quote

Prices vary wildly depending where you go, what were your quotes? I have an '01 Civic (same generation as yours) and...

For Timing Belt, Water Pump and Seal, Accessory Belts and all applicable Gaskets:

Honda Dealer #1, right down the street, quoted $675. Also said they have a $50 off coupon that expires soon, and I should make an appointment asap.
Honda Dealer #2, 45 minutes away, quoted $825.
Honda Dealer #3, 1.5hr away, quoted $389.99.

I was going to go with Dealer #1, but after some searching found Dealer #3. They quoted +$75 for Tensioner, and +$33 for Drive Pulley. (They charged no added labor for those, just cost of parts). Plus 7% tax and I was out the door for $532.xx.

My sister also has a 2dr '01 Civic, was charged a flat $500 cash from a no-name shop nearby, for the t-belt, pump, and accessory belts. Not sure if tensioner was changed.

FWIW, the service manager did request my VIN for purposes of ordering the parts, but I don't see why "2002 Honda Civic EX 4 cyl 1.7 l 5-speed" wouldn't be enough for the guy at the garage.
Old 11-11-2010
Registered!!

BiggieCivvie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Information needed for timing belt replacement quote

Thanks, green. Although I've already had the work done, I appreciate your reply. Tells me that I made the right choice in avoiding the shop that felt like the info I had given them was not enough.

I took it to the higher-estimate place, because they have a sterling reputation, and I have used them before and have always been happy. They do charge a little more - pretty comparable with dealer prices - but they stand behind their work and are always very honest. They brought a few other things to my attention they saw while they were servicing my vehicle, and not only did they not pressure me into fixing them, they actually told me what the consequences would be in not getting them fixed (no further damage) in case I wanted to wait or waive the repairs altogether.

If I hadn't been on such a tight budget and looking for the best possible price, I would have taken it straight to them anyway, so I decided to go without a few other things this month to make up the difference and stick with the shop I like and didn't try to mess with me on getting a simple quote.

Thanks again! Happy driving!