Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda civic 05, Unknown overheating issue.

Old 09-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMatterOfPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda civic 05, Unknown overheating issue.

Having a heating issue with my car. Maybe you guys can help?

The story.

One day notice it starts to over heat. Check it out. Low on water. Put some in. Things are fine.

Few days later. Same deal. But this time i notice that water was actually spraying out from somwhere. Couldnt figure out where.

Took it in. Couldnt find the issue. Couldnt make it do it agian ether.

Few days later same deal. But this time it is spraying water alot more heavy. Still could not find out from where. And I couldnt make it do it agian. Messed with it for close to 4 hours and could not make it over heat nor spray water like I had seen it do 2 times before.

3 days later.. Today... Same freakin deal...

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-02-2010
Registered!!

Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Honda civic 05, Unknown overheating issue.

Ok I have recent experience with a similar issue and you might not like the result so here it is.

My car also started overheating randomly(also an 05)and spraying coolant. After filling it up the first time no problems for about two weeks. then it started again. Over heat and spray. I took it to Honda they said it was a fan relay got it fixed drove ten miles happened again. Took it back and replaced a radiator fan switch. Day later happened again. I told them it was the head gasket but they said no way with 68k on the motor and none of the real signs like smoke, loss of power, etc. So they replaced the thermostat. Day later samething. They finally gave in and replaced the gasket two months ago runs like a charm. My head was slightly warped causing the problem. I noticed bubbles in the atifreeze from day one which led to me thinking the compression was off thus the headgasket. One month after taking it there they did a compression check and I was right all along. Next time yours over heats pop the hood and look at the resivior. If it bubbles like a fish tank then thats your problem. Get a compression test kit to make sure.
Old 09-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jsmithe2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

There goes the Japanese reliability!
Old 09-06-2010
Registered!!

AMatterOfPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ckutch02EX
Ok I have recent experience with a similar issue and you might not like the result so here it is.

My car also started overheating randomly(also an 05)and spraying coolant. After filling it up the first time no problems for about two weeks. then it started again. Over heat and spray. I took it to Honda they said it was a fan relay got it fixed drove ten miles happened again. Took it back and replaced a radiator fan switch. Day later happened again. I told them it was the head gasket but they said no way with 68k on the motor and none of the real signs like smoke, loss of power, etc. So they replaced the thermostat. Day later samething. They finally gave in and replaced the gasket two months ago runs like a charm. My head was slightly warped causing the problem. I noticed bubbles in the atifreeze from day one which led to me thinking the compression was off thus the headgasket. One month after taking it there they did a compression check and I was right all along. Next time yours over heats pop the hood and look at the resivior. If it bubbles like a fish tank then thats your problem. Get a compression test kit to make sure.

Thanks mate, Yeah after looking into every other possible answer we came to the same idea ether.

The water loss is pretty slow. I think I can do about 3 days of my normal driving before it does it but yeah same deal.

Not the cheapest thing in the world to fix but better then getting a whole new car. My car also has a good 138k on it. But thanks mate for your input. Just reasurres what we all came to assume.
Old 09-06-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Alot of cases where the water is just disappearing and getting low it is usually the head gasket. To see if its the head gasket there could be black stuuf in the oil on the dipstick or you can check the o2 sensor to see if there is any anti freeze wear on the sensor. The o2 sensor will be white if it has anti freeze. If these check out then it is the head gasket.
Old 09-06-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsmithe2010
There goes the Japanese reliability!
it ended after the year 2000 models. unfortunate because they used to make such nice cars.
Old 09-06-2010
Registered!!

Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AMatterOfPride
Thanks mate, Yeah after looking into every other possible answer we came to the same idea ether.

The water loss is pretty slow. I think I can do about 3 days of my normal driving before it does it but yeah same deal.

Not the cheapest thing in the world to fix but better then getting a whole new car. My car also has a good 138k on it. But thanks mate for your input. Just reasurres what we all came to assume.
Glad to help man.
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

chastitynorelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 2003 honda civic over heating

I have replaced the thermostat waterpump and timing belts.I thought the over heating issue was fixed.it didnt over heat for one week and then as it was in idle it started to over heat.. drove 80 miles to work, and didnt over heat.. drove 80 miles home started to over heat.. i am at a loss have already paid 400 to fix and now overheating again...any suggestions
Old 10-12-2010
Registered!!

Aquraswel1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Honda civic 05, Unknown overheating issue.

Hello,

I am having all the problems you have all listed, and the honda mechanic I spoke with today says, head gasket.
What do you think that will run me to have that fixed???? I have an 05 too.
UGH
Old 10-12-2010
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

I did headgasket, water pump, timing belt, ac & accessory belt for $800

-waterpump was about $100
-rest of belts are about $60
-labour for the extra parts, lets say $100

so $800 minus $260 = ~$540 for the headgasket..
keep in mind this is with my own mechanic, the $tealership would've charged me thousands.
Old 10-14-2010
Registered!!

jcoastie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i had the same problem with my 04, overheated, took it to a mechanic when someone else couldnt figure it out. Replaced the head gasket and shaved the head, check engine light came on, went into limp mode. Took it to another mechanic, he jumped hot wires from the battery to the ecu,`burned up my computer, took it to honda, they found a loose bolt in the head that controls vtec, put it back in, replaced the ecu, ended up costing me about 1200, awesome time.
Old 10-18-2012
meh...

n33t is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Honda civic 05, Unknown overheating issue.

09/18-20 i take my car in to get the oil changed.. and the guy under the car says i got a leak, and he smells coolant - unfortunately they dont do those type of repairs.. but said to check my tubes and could be a leak in the radiator.. ruh oh, whut? my head was like car parts what? HUH!? FML! here the saga goes..

09/20 - take my car in, get the radiator replaced... (320 bucks) car runs fine for about 2 weeks..

10/03 - take it in for the same problem.. however i had to explain that when the heater is on, the car overheats (after the car was held hostage for nearly 5 hours prior to me needing to explain this just how i explained it that morning which apparently didnt get relayed because OH NOW, they know what the problem is..) the fan wasnt turning on..(but i coulda sworn ive felt the fan kick on before but hey what do i know, this is why im there in the first place, cuz i dont know!!) they replaced the switch. (the last time on 09/20 when i got the car back, the heater was on i remember turning it off because i was roasting.. so now 2 weeks later i need a new switch..i chalked it up as a mere coincidence)

hmm..

10/09 - hai its me again... the car is _still_ overheating.. i have given up on this car in just hopes that, maybe its something small.. neighbor suggested thermostat but i just dropped the car off that morning just in high hopes it wasnt a 500 dollar job.. they replaced the thermostat and said "call me in two days if this doesnt work"

in my head, im thinking, how about i just call you when my car blows up maybe then you'll be able to figure out the problem.. on your own...

10/10 im just in complete wow.. the car is still over heating.. - i didnt call him back..

10/17 - i give up, checked my car there is no fluids in it now, wtF! of COURSE my car is going to run fine while its there, they fed it coolant but when i checked it before leaving work - not a water in sight, and nothing even at the top of the radiator cap.. so i take it back into the shop, i call them around 5ish (dropped it off at 7am) he said there was air in my engine but cannot replicate the problem.. WHAT?! im losing my mind here!!! turn the AC on and drive 30 minutes, then let it idle; it'll tell you right away that its hot and needs a bird bath in a lake.

the signs ive seen so far:
residue (cant explain it) from the bottom of the windshield inside the car
car smells like maple syrup on the outside (cant smell it on the inside..)
when the car overheats, ive noticed the heater wont work.
the check engine light does not come on, ever.
the car doesnt have any issues turning on..
the car DOES pull to the right (didnt notice it before but didnt know if that could be anything either other then alignment)
i tried looking for spotting when i turn the car on and let it idle, nothing kicks out of the muffler and nothing that i can smell either..

my poor civic..

can i get anyones suggestion please?
Old 10-18-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Blown/failed head gasket. I would have someone test for it, but it's the tell tail sign of a blown/failed head gasket unfortunately. Cylinder head probably needs to be machined since it over heated.
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

cpbennett will become famous soon enough

Same w/ my 2004 Civic...

History:
Early Sept - overheated - Resevoir filled to cap, radiator not full. (added fluid, burped system)

**ok for two weeks**

Mid Sept - overheated - Purge system, flushed coolant system, put new fluid in.

**ok for three weeks**

Early Oct - overheated - added coolant, burped system

**ok for two weeks**

Mid Oct - overheated - Pulled over, called a Tow Truck.

Took it to the dealer and replaced the thermostat & rad cap and it still overheated. Compression test showed loss of pressure in cylinder #2 after about 15 mins at idle, then resevoir started overflowing.

ISSUE: Head Gasket Leak

Costs,

Head Gasket Set, OEM - 234.82
Head Bolts - 10 - $110
Water Pump - $81.80
Collant - $20
Oil & Filter - $24.20
-----------------------
(Parts total w/ tax ==> $503.77)
Labor $680
Thermostat + Diag Test $210
Resurface head $100
"Shop Fees" $50 --GRRRR

GRAND TOTAL of $1543.77
Old 10-21-2012
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point

Always the HG on these
when mine happened it went spewin coolant out the over flow
when I would turn it off.
also the over flow jug was always full even cold.
And I could smell exaust if i took rad cap off
I added 1/2 litre of coolant before I accepted reality and got
It fixed.
That and I was 600km from home in the winter and
didn't really wanna freeze in that thing.

No doubt yours is HG too.

I had a dealer do mine, I wasnt going to try a no name mechanic
that far from home.

they charged me 1500 tax in
they changed
gasket kit
timing belt
water pump
antifreeze
thermostat
sparkplugs
oil change
805 labour
544 parts

The mechanic showed me my old gasket and all that was
wrong with it was the coating was wore off between
water jacket and cylinder 4.
He said cylinder 4 was real clean...lol

I would get it done at a dealer I have heard night mare stories
about no name garages botching a head gasket.
Old 10-21-2012
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
it ended after the year 2000 models. unfortunate because they used to make such nice cars.
Sadly I have to agree.
I know 2 people who have 2004 sunfires with over
200000km on them and other then oil changes they
never do anything.

Then again I dont do much to the heavy chevy either.
Old 10-21-2012

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah it's pretty crappy when you know it's the HG.

I got really lucky. I was coming back from a trip on the highway. I never over heated at all. As I was pulling in to my parking stall last Saturday, I decided I was going to check my oil level. I opened the hood and coolant was sprayed on the engine and the reserve tank was filled to the brim with air bubbles popping up every couple seconds. I waited about 5 minutes and opened the radiator cap. A burst of air came out and there was no coolant to be seen.

It was too late on Saturday to go to the dealership and order parts. I went first thing Monday morning in my wife's car and ordered parts. I had to wait until Wednesday before the parts came in and I couldn't pick them up until Thursday morning because my wife was working Wednesday night. I disassembled everything on Monday and Tuesday. I got the HG swapped, timing belt stuff and adjusted all the valves on Thursday. Finished the rest up on Friday. Fired her up Friday afternoon. No leaks and no CEL. You have no idea how relieved I was. Cost was a little over $200 with two oil and filter changes to be safe. My only casualty was a burnt nose from working in my parking stall under a hot Hawaiian sun.
Old 10-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt_75
a burnt nose from working in my parking stall under a hot Hawaiian sun.
This is the Technicians' Tanning Booth:

Old 10-21-2012

Originally Posted by ezone
This is the Technicians' Tanning Booth:

I would have preferred that tanning booth over the sun, that's for damn sure.

The job really wasn't that bad, but the heat was killer. It just drained my energy. I was using sun screen but sweating like a pig. I bought six 32 oz Gatorade for Thursday and Friday and went through all of them by end of day Friday. Luckily this is the toughest repair I'll probably ever due with this car in a parking stall.

If I ever need a new engine or transmission, it's going to the dealership. Now, if I get a house eventually with a garage, I would consider getting a hoist. Then I would consider attempting the above jobs if needed.