Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Poor driveability/power loss, valvetrain type noise... good compression - thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tastyratz is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor driveability/power loss, valvetrain type noise... good compression - thoughts???

2001 lx w/d17 and 130k miles started with poor driveability, loss of power, poor idle near stalling the other day.

I noticed when free reving or driving under load I hear a clicking sound that sounds to me very much so like valvetrain noise. First thing to mind was out of spec lash or a munched valve.

I pulled the valve cover and adjusted all valves to a very tight low end of the spec per fsm and it did not go away.

I just did a compression test - 210-205-200-210. Very much within 28psi and well above 135 (that cant be target thats 7.5:1 comp territory)

The car feels like its going to stall down low, has a big hit in power, and runs very rough... but it got 42mpg on the last tank (long highway drive)!

Issue started suddenly and seems to me its getting louder. Louder when first started/cold but not by much.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tastyratz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Poor driveability/power loss, valvetrain type noise... good compression - thought

answered my own question, found through searching the cracking manifold problem. sure enough mines cracked. ordering a header now.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Poor driveability/power loss, valvetrain type noise... good compression - thought

Sorry it's a new header but, glad you found the problem.