Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

factory anti-theft system - not sure if it's working correctly

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04civic-dude is an unknown quantity at this point
factory anti-theft system - not sure if it's working correctly

Hi all,

I'm a new member and just browsed the 7th gen forum. I am a new owner of a 2004 Honda Civic (Sedan). It's got 48K miles and runs fine but I'm having a problem with the anti-theft system.

For instance, the other day I went to retrieve my car and when I tried to unlock it with the key fob, there was no response from the car. (I don't know if it matters, but it was super cold outside). I manually unlocked the driver's door but this triggered the horn alarm and it did not shut off when I locked the door. The horn persisted blowing while I unlocked the door and even while I started the car. I read in the manual that unlocking the door and/or starting the car is supposed to disable the alarm, so I was confused. After several tries the alarm finally disarmed, but it was several minutes and I was getting very stressed with the super loud horn blowing in the city with everyone looking and wondering what the heck was going on.

Now, just today I needed to do some work in the car as the fuel cap release broke so I ordered a fix from fueldoorfix.com and installed it myself. Everything was going fine until I was reinstalling one of the plastic panels and then I heard 2 short beeps. I looked at the dashboard and saw the red alarm light was blinking, which I believe means the alarm was armed. I hadn't touched the key fob and the front and rear doors were opened and the car was unlocked while I was working on it. I got nervous that the horn would start blowing so I pressed the unlock button on the key fob and the alarm started blowing - oh no!! I closed all the doors and did the same unlock/lock dance about 5 times and finally the thing quieted down. Am I just not understanding how this works? Why would the system arm itself spontaneously?

Later I was attaching the liner back in the trunk. I had unlocked the car (disarmed alarm) and popped the trunk. A minute into my work in the trunk I heard the 2 beeps again. I looked into the car and saw the red alarm armed light flashing - no!! I quickly finished my work and closed the trunk and pressed the key fob unlock and it disarmed the alarm. Again, why is the alarm system spontaneously arming itself??? Is it sensitive to something I'm doing to the car?

Thanks for any and all help. I really am tempted to bring it to the dealer, but I have a funny feeling they are going to charge me hundreds of dollars to run some test only to tell me they can't find a problem. (I've had some back experiences with service at dealers year ago with another car).

Hope to hear from someone soon on this.

Thank you very much!
Old 02-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seoul4korea can only hope to improve
Re: factory anti-theft system - not sure if it's working correctly

ouch i hope ya figure it out.