Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

The OFFICIAL Trans Fluid Trans Flush Post

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicClasseatal is an unknown quantity at this point
The OFFICIAL Trans Fluid Trans Flush Post

Hey all,
I've looked around all the world wide webs and couldn't find any official thread dealing with this critical issue with the 7th gen Honda Civics. As we all know, the 2001-2002 Automatic Transmissions are particularly defective. I have read in many places that a Transmission Fluid Change helps the common problems of shifting and slipping. There is no clear answer out there as to the proper amount of times you are to do this (3 times?) and whether that means refilling the transmission with NEW fluid every change or recycling the new (1st drain) oil over and over again. Also, I've heard that Honda specifically states not to do a Transmission Flush but have not heard with certainty that that is the case. Please illuminate this vital and important issue. Thanks to all.
Old 08-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The OFFICIAL Trans Fluid Trans Flush Post

flush is generally bad for any transmission. its better to just drain and refill. the trans holds around 9 qts, so every time you do it you are only replacing 3 qts of new fluid. the procedure is that you are supposed to drain and refill 3 times, and drive it after each time to mix the fluid. that way at the end you have mostly new fluid in there. since atf costs $8 a bottle at the dealer, i only drain and refill once, but i do it every year. keeps the fluic nice and clean.
Old 03-09-2010
Registered!!

Cosmo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

A complete fluid exchange is even better. The machine in our shop does not operate under pressure at all. I takes 12 quarts to complete the fluid exchange. I bought my Honda ATF-Z1 from a local Honda dealer for $5.69 each. YMMV
Old 03-10-2010
Registered!!

shrewz92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cosmo1
A complete fluid exchange is even better. The machine in our shop does not operate under pressure at all. I takes 12 quarts to complete the fluid exchange. I bought my Honda ATF-Z1 from a local Honda dealer for $5.69 each. YMMV
Who's the dealer? I wonder if they'll ship to an address? My 3 local Honda Dealerships charge $9.95/qt for ATF-Z1.
Old 03-10-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

www.handaaccessories.com under the maint/fluids section