Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wierd CEL issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flaconc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Wierd CEL issue

Hello All,

Hoping someone might have experienced something similar to me and can help.

I installed an autometer tach in my 01 dx today, wired it in accordance with some of the DIY Intructions I have read but this is exactly what I did.
Black wire- chasis ground
Red wire - tapped into accesory, cig lighter
White wire - tapped into alternator wire
Green wire- tapped into the actual tach wire near the battery.

Situation: upon completing the installation my CEL popped. No wierd smoke or smells or crazy donuts or anything. Just wired up the tach turned and the car an whammo there is the little yellow devil staring at me, Menacing me with it's mysterious appearance.

I also took off what appears to be the air cleaner and knocked out some of the dirt in it. But I can't see how that could have had anything to do with this. I plan on going to autozone to have the code read but was curious to see if anyone here has ever experienced something similar.
Old 06-12-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wierd CEL issue

did you unplug the air temp sensor while you were cleaning? its gotta be something you forgot to put back. tapping tach wires will not turn the cel on. have the code read anyway so you know what happens. my bet is iat sensor.
Old 06-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flaconc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
did you unplug the air temp sensor while you were cleaning? its gotta be something you forgot to put back. tapping tach wires will not turn the cel on. have the code read anyway so you know what happens. my bet is iat sensor.
The funny thing about it is this. I went to Advance Auto Parts and they hooked up thier OBDII machine thingy. It came back saying both O2 sensors took a dump. Obviously I was wierded out so I asked him to reset it. Well here I am nearly a week later and not so much as a flicker of the light remains. My guess is I just pulled the wrong fuse and tripped it. But thanks for your input.
Old 06-19-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

how many miles? its possible the sensors did actually throw a code, but theyre not bad enough to keep the light on. when they first start to take a dump, it may randomly throw a slow response code, but then when you clear it the code will stay off a few weeks. thats what happened when mine went out and i was too lazy to replace it at the time so i just reset the light. sure enough a month later it was back on and wouldnt turn off anymore so i replaced it. but even then, its only gonna cost you 1-2mpg, it hardly affects how the car runs.